1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Photography - Detroit: Land of abandoned skyscrapers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Latly I have been interested in downtown, and the so called "Downtown Dirty Dozen" buildings. Despite improving conditions downtown, this is still probably the only place I can think of with towering skyscrapers completly empty and in ruins.

This is the Broderick Tower, A.K.A the "Abandoned Tower". There is a rumored "loft" rennovation for this place, but so far the only work going on inside in vandalism.

Something about having an entire roaring 1920's neo-classical skyscraper all to yourself that is just surreal.
    [​IMG]

A grim reminder of just how boring and bland modern buildings look.
    [​IMG]

Once you get inside, the first few floors are dark. The windows painted over, perhaps to hide the fact that this is a lifeless building.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some hallway shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once home to many different businesses, including dentists, doctors, tailors, and laywers.
    [​IMG]

Stepping into this place is like stepping back in history.
    [​IMG]

Looking out the window.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone ripped a nice hole in that add that faces Corporate America ballpark.
    [​IMG]

Nice shot down Woodward Ave.
    [​IMG]

The top of the Metropolitian building, another beautifully built delapitated building. Complete with trees growing on the roof somehow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's not me in the mirror.
    [​IMG]

The doors. Where is Jim Morrison?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are just some bizzare random things I found in this place.

A wheelechair.
    [​IMG]

Old fridge.
    [​IMG]

Dentist chairs from probably the 1940's, maybe even earlier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuffed Monkey with it's head torn off.
    [​IMG]

Looks like something out of a movie.
    [​IMG]

whoaa, I'm artsey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof is the best part.

The uppers floors 34-36 used to be a personal penthouse club for elite businessmen. Now it's a penthouse for hobos and vandals.
    [​IMG]

No booze left at the bar. I checked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had free Tiger tickets all summer.
    [​IMG]

Best Seat in the House (I whored this one out in Photoshop). I still hate this ballpark.
    [​IMG]

I miss Tiger Stadium. This place is the real deal.
    [​IMG]

Excellent view.
    [​IMG]

And last but not least.

You saw how trashed this place is. That didn't stop someone from placing a garbage bag on the roof so us explorers could put our garbage!
    [​IMG]

That's it. I have a bunch more, but I think this is enough.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    great pics. Downtown Detroit is definitely one of the strangest areas I've been to, SO quiet / deserted at night. Haven't been there in few years, so it might well have changed. But I used to date someone who lived in Troy so I'd be out there quite a lot.

3. I always love your pictures Bad Brains. Inspires me to want to start taking more pictures again. You seem to be a good photographer but also have the advantage of these great locations. I don't think there's too many places like that around me.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Downtown is definitly a strange place. The only thing that is holding the economy together is the professional sports team. On days the Tigers or Lions don't play, it's dead.

There are doing a lot of cool loft rennovations. I know someone who lives right down the street from this place. I'd definitly move downtown if I could find work. It's very bleak and desolate, which would fit me well.

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    good stuff!

6. Great shots, I always love seein your pics.

7. Those are some great shots. I really like the wheelchair one, you got some really good lighting on that one. :)

8. Love those pic!!

9. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Always love your Detroit Photo threads!

10. I always love it when you post pic's, keep 'em coming in the future :)

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

thanks.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Great shots, like the last batch. It leaves me with a slight sense of melancholy. I grew up in the 50's and 60's and seeing all that dilapidated stuff from that era kind of underscores the passing of a gestalt. All that stuff is kind of inconsequential now. It also points out the importance for all of us to stay in tune with what's going on now, socially and technologically, or suffer the same fate.

13. Yep... ghosts from the past. I could feel what it must have been like during those final years when the last few businesses where trying to hang on.... feeling more and more desperate each day. Kind of scary. Great shots my friend.... thanks!

14. Beautiful pictures. As I always post on these threads, downtown (even without ballgames) is anything but dead at night. As new residents of the area, my wife (who works downtown) and I have been pleasantly surprised with the downtown area... many restaurants and lot's going on, even during the week. We spend quite a bit of time downtown, and notice the improvement as the months go by. Very impressive.

Of course, Detroit has huge problems, and the downtown resurgence is limited to a relatively small part of the entire downtown area (maybe 20 or 30 square blocks). However, my wife and I had to wait in line to get into the wonderful new Cuban restaurant in the heart of downtown on a Tuesday night when the Tigers were out of town. That's a very good sign. There is also quite a bit of positive vibe going on in the suburbs about the resurgence of downtown... with more and more people who haven't been down in years venturing to the clubs, restaurants and concert venues, etc.

We also just say a sold out Jeff Beck concert right in the heart of downtown during the week.

15. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I don't think detroit's dead, but like Sonic Death said, other cities don't have the dearth of eerily gothic empty buildings Detroit does. It's really quite unqiue in that respect.

There are a lot of other buildings in Detroit that aren't empty and that have a lot stuff going on inside their walls, though.

16. The dentist office shots are awesome! Creepy.

Also really like the doors and the monkey.

17. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    It's been a long time since I've been in Detroit. I must be fairly unsettling to run around in those abandoned buildings. And the area around Tiger Stadium (has it been renamed?) is spooky after dark ... only crazies on the street the last time I was there.

18. i really liked the faucet photo. i like how much better your eye gets with each photo set. i love the ghosts of detroit. they're romantic. they are both the past's glory and the the future's hope for rebirth.

very few cities have shrunk like detroit in population. if you haven't ever been here, you can't really appreciate how big the city is geographically. it is designed to have at least twice the population that it actually does.

what can i say? i live and work in oakland county. my commute wouldn't be much longer from midtown, which is a great part of the city, but then my wife couldn't walk down the street alone at night. and it would be much more expensive than royal oak or ferndale, which have great communities of their own.

i love the city more every day. but i still don't want to make it my home. if i were starting a business, i'd strongly consider starting it downtown.

robb.

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well dead might not be the right word, at certain times. But it's still far from alive and well. Unfortunitly the whole economy downtown depends on people comming in from the suburbs. Things are going well for now, but it's a very fragile economy. Definitly a more positive vibe, espically compared to 10 years ago.

And like you said, it's condensed into small areas. Go about a half mile in either direction of downtown, and it gets real bad real fast.

20. mb1

mb1 Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Jun 23, 2006
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Wow. What a cool and unexpected find here at TB. Very nice job. This is one of the reasons I prefer smaller cities to major metropolitan areas. While even smaller urban areas are not immune from these economic problems, the scale of the problems tend to be more managable. Nice job.