1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Photography - Urban exploring

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    For those not from the Detroit area, the Packard Plant was built in 1907 and was the second car factory built in the world (the Ford plant down the road was the first). It consists of about 40 separate buildings all inner connected in a nearly mile long maze. At one time they produced the most expensive luxurious cars in the world. They also produced WW2 tank and jet engines, and were the major producer of Rolls Royce engines.

I was inside for over 3 hours and only covered about 20% of it. I also ran out of film less then halfway though. It's kind of overwhelming inside, it's like an unofficial museum. Enjoy.

I tried to keep these in sequential order, kind of like a tour though the plant.

The East end.
    [​IMG]

Door is always open at the Pac'.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was odd. When I took the picture I just thought it was randing stuff falling from the ceiling. Now that I look closer it looks like ghosts or KKK members being hung by the neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a second batch still being worked on, I will post them in a few weeks if anyone is interested.

Let me know what you think.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, that is cool stuff. be careful in those places. They can be dangerous structurally, and there may be unseemly characters in there, too.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I know the risks and I'm willing to accept the consequences of my actions.

This kind of stuff has always interest and intrigued me. So for me it's worth it.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    In many parts of the city yes.

Some have said I'm trying to give the city a bad name but that's not true. I'm just documenting what's there. There is a lot of good in the city depending on how you look at it.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There are a few places in a town my aunt lives in like this. They are tall industrial buildings with boarded up windows, and signs on the sides. I have always wondered what is in there. Every time we go into town, we pass these buildings.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If it were free, I'm sure all of that brownspace would be (re)developed in a heartbeat!

7. Condor

Condor

Aug 31, 2004
    Be carefull, but thanks for your intrest and sharing. The history you are documenting is lonesome and disturbing to some, but nevertheless imaginative in the sense that some can "see" what existed so long ago.

8. Condor

Condor

Aug 31, 2004
    PS: Film? Really?

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Detroit has tons of free land. Large empty lots are all over the palce. Very few are maintained. You can see more green in the city than you can in the burbs.

Lot's of squatteres and homeless. I didn't encounter any that day and I don't hope to. When you are in the plant you can hear people roaming the floors below you, so you try to avoid them.

10. i would LOVE to be in a place/sittuation to be able to go into places like that

[​IMG]
    thats a great picture, this type of construction barely exists anymore

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hehehe.

bc

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice stuff dude, those KKK robes are weird indeed

13. Great pics as always. Keep it up. One day you'll be able to cull out the best shots for a great coffee table book!

14. To be fair to those that have said that: those accusations usually follow your comments on the city, not your hobby of shooting abandoned buildings. I'd be happy to provide examples.

Mike

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you ever put together a book, I'll be on the list to buy. I love photographing urban decay, as it really tells a history that's sometimes not so wonderful, but true.

Do you do all the developing yourself? What kind of gear you using? What kind of film?

I'm shooting mostly Tri-X with some Plus-X and a bit of IHR through a Minolta XD-11. Love it.

16. WOW! Those are awesome. You are improving in your composition, I like them a lot more than your first "urban" post. The use of the available lighting is excellent as well.

I am interested in seeing more.

I found a web site once that had done a similar photo shoot of urban decay in and around the Providence, RI area. He was either a R.I.S.D or Brown student. If I can find his web site again I will post a link.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow- while we may have completely differing opinions on everything else, we've got very similar likes as far as visual interest goes. I almost never work with reference photos, but there's one of your photos that I'd really like to use as a basis for a painting sometime (the garage in the 10th photo down) if you wouldn't mind.

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I just used regular Kodak 400 ISO and a 35MM camera. I also use a telephoto lens which is expensive. I was cautious about bringing anything of great value because you never know who you are going to encounter, but It was work it.

As soon as I get some money I want to get all sorts of gear, I really need a Digital SLR.

The good thing about film though is I will have those negatives forever.

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    You are right I can't deny that. The city is a social and political example of what is wrong in the country. It has been named the "the first 3rd world city in America" back in the 80's.

It's just sad to see how they tear down and/or let their history rot away. A good example is Tiger Stadium.

20. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Sure, use whatever you want. Just let me see when it's done.

I'm starting to get back into painting again, I plan on using some of my own images as a basis as well.