1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Photography

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by RamaTemmink, May 19, 2019.

1. RamaTemmink

RamaTemmink Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Hi there,

does anyone do any photography as a hobby/profession?

Here are three photos that I took: IMG_1178 (4).JPG IMG_5183.jpg IMG_1524 (5).JPG

I am currently trying to create my own style, but it still is a hard thing to do.

P.S. I break quite a lot of photography "rules"...

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I am a currently travel photographer though I have worked many years as a portrait photographer, cinematographer and also shoot a lot of video. I have literally thousands of photos from Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Latvia. Here's a shot of the Dead Sea from the East/Jordan side. I shot it for a calendar we produced a few years ago.
    DeadSeaHotelSunset.jpg

BTW- I like your photos, your seem to have a good eye.

kohanmike, dhergert and Jason Hollar like this.
  3. RamaTemmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Hi there Filmtex,

It is hard to capture the beauty of the landscape you are beholding and you just did that! Your photo has nice vibrant colours, I like it by a lot. Sometime soon I would love to travel to Israel.

Thank you for your compliment, I shoot wide with a 35mm lens and cut the photo where I feel like it. I consider myself as "a person who documents people by means of photography".

CayGee likes this.
  4. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Old Musician, New to UB!

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    I used to do wedding photography as a 2nd camera (worked as the only camera a couple of times for some brides on a budget), but found I spent more hours sitting in Photoshop trying to get "perfection" then it was worth.

So now I have thousands of bucks worth of equipment sitting around doing nothing. Occasionally I will set up the backdrops, and pull out the Alien Bees to shoot guitars I am selling, but even then its few and far between.

Here is one of my brides, now:

Oddly enough, she was at the Miami Zoo, and I just happened to get her yelling at her mom to stop playing with her hair, because it looks fine like it is!

Oddly and dhergert like this.
  5. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    C6828896-7867-48FE-A259-21B25787A1A5.jpeg
    I’ll see your lioness and raise you one Cuban crocodile:

Oddly and dhergert like this.
  6. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    I used to for a bit, took a break, but am starting to get back into it. I haven't taken my camera out in a while but I've been taking photos with my iPhone here and there at shows I go to. Might be time to get my camera back out again.

kohanmike likes this.
  7. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    This was one of the unwanted S.A. Greens we adopted some years ago. I'll always admire them, but they belong in South America...

bigiguana.jpg

kohanmike and Jason Hollar like this.
  8. RamaTemmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Excellent, I too have my phases where I very rarely take out my camera, but as of now I am back at it again.

dhergert likes this.
  9. RamaTemmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Seems to me you're following the rules very well, good composition, angles, subject matter, very nice. I minored in photography in the late 60s in college, then in the 70s did some concert and television show stills, then became a propman in the movies and put it aside for over 25 years, then retired in the early 2000s and traded in my film Nikons for digital and did catalogue stills for a southwest furniture store here in L.A. which my elementary school friend's brother owned.

Then a junior high friend who's been a lawyer for 30 years and violin player for the California Jr. Philharmonic, formed the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic made up of professional musician's who needed to make a real living and got law degrees. He also formed the Big Band of Barristers and Legal Chorus, and are celebrating their 10th Anniversary with a concert at Disney Music Hall in June that they do yearly. I'm the staff photographer and I also do all the graphic design and concert programs.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. RamaTemmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Wow, thank you so much, I do read up on photography "stuff" and I plan on studying it more intently. Using (extremely) high iso for example is an unwritten rule that I tend to break a lot, but... how else am I supposed to document my subject? Using flash will only disturb my subject who him-/herself is busy with an activity.

Professional photography scares me big time! Imagine fudging up the photo... it is like a professional recording session.

12. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

After years of being restricted by what used to be called ASA, I'm very happy for the incredible ISO capabilities of new digital cameras. I make use of it all the time for concert shooting because I can rarely use a flash. I'm on D300s bodies, which serve me very well, but I'm really amazed at the latest models with ten times better ISO. I'm reluctant to spend the money, using it for more bass ukes and mini electric bass conversions.

13. RamaTemmink

Nov 30, 2015
    I understand, we adapt to what we have and in this case it is high iso!

Here is another pic I took last Thursday:
    Raphael.jpg

nbsipics, Oddly and kohanmike like this.
  14. Annabanner

Annabanner Commercial User

Sep 23, 2019
    Australia
    Dental Envy

Attached Files:

15. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Shot this Sunday with my iPhone, camera was home...

AD9626BB-F979-4DA2-AFB9-FCDC3BFDCABD.jpeg

16. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    In the days before the death of silver process I did a lot of photography, including some teaching. You mention wanting to 'create' your style. I'll submit that the more conscious you are of this, the less you're likely to find of it. Just take your photos, study the photos you like, and take more photos. Like with playing the bass, practice helps you visualize both what you want as a result and how to get there. Focus on saying something about the subject rather than yourself, and your work will communicate more effectively with others.

17. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    My wife is a professional photographer, so I'm around it all the time and she teaches me little bits here and there. I understand image composition, so if she sets the camera for me I can take a good shot, but I still don't understand all the technical details like f stops and iso to do it myself. It's fun, but I wouldn't consider it "my" artform.

notJaco likes this.
  18. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Interestingly, now in the "late" digital camera age, a person can take pics and see results without having to develop them, then delete the bad ones and go for more. Back in the day it was home to the bathroom darkroom developing lab to develop the negatives and then to make the prints. That was a fun study by itself and it was an art for many people, but honestly I personally don't miss it.

Ironically, though I've recently bought a nice new "35mm" format digital with great lenses for my wife and a GoPro for myself, we still use our phones 90% of the time with pretty excellent results. Phone cameras and their lens technology are getting better and better, and with constant cellphone online service, posting images instantly online has become the standard. As such most consumer-level dedicated digital cameras, even those that can use WiFi and bluetooth, are becoming obsolete despite their advantage of high quality lenses.

GoPro and similar cameras are interesting because of their size, portability and affinity to video... But having one now, my observation is that it's still another camera device to carry in addition to your phone and it becomes difficult to justify having it along for all but the most feature-demanding situations. Especially if you're also bringing multiple instruments including your double bass.

I'm not sure, but I suspect pro-level cams as well as high-end consumer cams, if they don't have it already, will eventually have to incorporate both voice-phone and image-upload capable cellphone online service in addition to WiFi and bluetooth. It's the only way they will survive the growing cellphone camera competition.

For those of us who grew up with manual cameras, film and darkrooms, it's a brave new world.

19. RamaTemmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Interesting perspectives everybody!

All in all, in the end the best camera is the one you have with you and that is correct! A cellphone photo of a band I took kickstarted my paid amateur photography after one of the members took notice that I "try" to compose my shots.

Here is one I took last Sunday evening:
    Jazz_Kings_2019_Downsized.jpg

Here is one taken approximately three months ago:
    IMG_6960-1.jpg

Making the colours seem natural is a tough challenge that I am currently tackling with!

Thank you everybody that replied and still will reply to this thread.

Rama

notJaco likes this.
  20. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    I've been into photography at some level or other since my Dad gave me my first camera (a Brownie) back in the 50's. Here's a couple from an astronomy trip to View attachment 3566516 View attachment 3566517 the Atacama Desert in Chile from several years ago...it was spectacular to say the least. The partial solar eclipse was taken with my small telescope here in Toronto. It's a fun and challenging hobby. View attachment 3566479