1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Photos from back in the day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fishtx, Jun 15, 2012.

1. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    hey guys...I thought it would be cool to see some photos of you all from back in the day, or when you were first starting out as a Bass Player. Please post an old photo of yourself playing!

I will start:

This photo was taken in 1977 while I was in college in NE Oklahoma. I'm playing my 1973 Fender Jazz Bass (still have it!).

Also notice my old Sunn Concert Bass head and Cerwin Vega B36MF cab in the background. I wish I still had that rig...Old School baby!

Attached Files:

2. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    Me from 20 years ago...still have that bass, no longer have the long hair (though it did get A LOT longer between then and now)...still that shy.

Image14.png

3. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Mid 70's....still have that mudbucker, though doesn't see much light of day

Attached Files:

4. Me playing at NightTown in Destin, Florida with my band The Clientz about 1982. I still have the Ibanez Challenger, but it sports a J-Retro pre along with the 80's vintage Dimarzio stacked humbucker pickups. I played it last friday night at a gig. I've had people come up and say "Hey, I've got (or had) a block neck '74 jazz like yours... wait, that's not a Fender!!!" more than a few times.

Tony1.jpg

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Me playing the school's '72 Jazz at a high school assembly ca 1982. I often wonder what happened to that bass -- it played and sounded great.
    SteveandBrian.gif

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Wow... you guys sure had a lot nicer basses than I started on (Harmony P-Bass copy ordered out of Bennett's Blue Book). It's cool that so many of you still have those axes.

Fun pics!

7. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    First bass was a Teisco Del Rey. That was hideous, w flowers on the pickguard even. Worked 2 years to get that EBO

8. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    my first Bass was a Sears Silvertone I ordered from the Sear's catalog...$79.95...

9. swaps

swaps

May 12, 2012
    Austin, MN
    sweet pics!!

10. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    keep them coming!

11. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    That Jazz reissue was my first (that pic is the first gig I ever played, too). I don't think I owned it outright yet at that time; I was making payments to the band's guitarist, who sold it to me (and taught me to play bass properly...I was a keyboard player before that).

I think I still own those jeans, too, and they still fit.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

T40.jpg

Early 1987, barely one year after I played a bass guitar for the first time.

13. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Back in '76...
    Kevinonbass1976.jpg

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    That's rad

15. 1979; The band's name: The Connectors 1976 fretless P-Bass, Lab L2 head, JBL Caberet series cabs, 1x18, 1x15

Attached Files:

16. I'll probably get crap for this, but I felt like posting. Here's me back in 2008 playing my Ibanez GSR200. This was when I owned my first set of flatwounds (D'Addario Chromes) that my non-musical Dad bought me on a whim. They're my favorite bass string.

Ibanezbass.jpg

(Yes, that's a Behringer BXL450A 45-watt 1x10" combo. Also note totally-punk stickers on bass, and the "POLICE LINE: Do Not Cross" strap). Good times..

17. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Me, late 70s, highschool jazz band

stage band.jpg

18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    15 years ago, Coach house, opening for Foghat (of all things!)

coachhouse.jpg

19. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nearly 20 years ago... My how time flies.

StoveboltD.jpg

20. Hi.

First gig/-86:

keikalla-86.jpg

To compare it with the "latest" from -06:

P8120041.jpg

I do have gigged quite a lot since then, but I'm not what people call "photo material" I suppose :).

Regards
    Sam