Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Photos of new bass in the white...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nicklloyd, Mar 26, 2003.

1. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hello gang, here's some photos of my latest project. I should be done with her in a few weeks.

2. Mmm, very nice...

:rolleyes:

- Wil

3. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    bear with me, I'm a image-posting newbie

4. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    take two

5. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    sorry, it's a large file. I don't have photoshop. Could somebody shrink it down for me?:meh:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    here ya go... looks nice!

[​IMG]

7. Looks really nice. love the shape...dig the back inlay.

8. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks. That purfling design is repeated at the bottom of the back, too. Some folks have called a "fruit bowl" whereas I like to think of it as a Vulcan Insignia. This instrument is, after all, part of a larger Federation Warfleet. (prune juice is a warrior's drink...)

speddling-how did you do that shrinking and posting of the image?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    PhotoShop:

I saved yours. Opened it in PhotoShop, clicked "image" --> "image size". In that Dialog I chose Resolution of 72 Pixel/Inch then making sure "Constrain Proportions" was checked I set the width to 525 pixels.

Clicked OK
    then clicked "file" --> "save for web" and chose a JPG with Maximum quality.

I just attached mine to my post. Once you have it attached, you can click to view --> copy URL then edit post and use the "Image" thingy to have it show (if'n you edit quick, the Server doesn't do the "edited by..." thing at the end).

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    What's the back wood there, Nick? It almost looks like an ash or something in the photo, but I know it's not likely to be that...

11. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just red maple, from New England somewheres. The back is slab/quarter cut. Winter grains are more pronounced with a slab cut piece. The right side of the back (where your stomach meets) has a darker stripe down through the c-bout, into the lower bout. Kinda does look like ash, though...interesting!

12. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Kewl bass, Nick. But I knew that already. Your creativity with the purfle is obvious in the pic and I'm sure your hand will show in other ways than is obvious in the picture. That's why I am so looking forward to the ISB competition. The smaller instruments are so bound by tradition and the margin for creativity is so different. The bass really lends itself to letting the makers art come through.

13. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yep, I agree. The purfling design, the slab-cut back: it's unique. I love that about double basses.

14. stiv1

stiv1

Apr 20, 2002
    Knoxville
    Any chance of seeing more pics of this handsome
    devil?

15. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sure. I'll post some new pics when the varnishing/setup is done. Should be two weeks...