Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Photos of the Inside of a Eden WT-550 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Apr 22, 2004.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I received an inquiry from a fellow TBer regarding taking a look inside the new WT-550's chassis; he also asked about swapping tubes. This new model packs a punch and seems to be more efficient than previous models. Here's a couple of photos. The tube socket is at the upper right of the first photo. The following photo is a close up of the Ruby 12ax7 in its socket.

I was surprised to find a Ruby tube in there. I have to say that this amp sounds so good that I haven't even thought about swapping the tube to seek a better tone. I love the way she sounds just as it is. I understand others might be interested in seeking the Holy Grail of Tube Tone by swapping the tube with other brands. Please feel free to share the results of your experiments here!

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Eden stuff sucks since they've been bought by Washburn, man, don't you read these forums? ;) that amp's got some nice looking innards. I'm glad to hear that you like that amp- i always liked the traveler heads (and all the eden stuff i've tried) myself. :bassist:

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I did a little tube swapping in my 550. I had a NOS RCA Grey Plate on hand and listened to them both in this head. The RCA was brighter and growlier and had more unpleasant transients, like the strings hitting the fret. The Ruby was smoother, more relaxed, and had a better control on the low bass. No doubt Mr. Nordschow listened to a bunch of different tubes before he settled on this one.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for sharing Woodboy. I had heard that NOS RCA tubes have good tone characteristics, so I was half-expecting you to say that the RCA sounded slightly better than the Ruby. It's always worth a try to see if there's something better out there. So far, I'm very happy with my amp as is.