1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Photos/Videos of your kids playing basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KulNova, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Hi guys,

Can we have this thread to share photos & videos of our kids playing our/their basses.

I start with my 3.5 year-old boy. He's been growing up with hearing the bass every day. Gave him my bass, and he's immediately lay down some simple groove with his fist LOL.

Obviously, this is no serious practice, but I give my kids the chances to playing with my basses and other instruments wherever they would like to.

JRA likes this.
  2. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Here is another one of him "practicing" regular finger style on my bass

JRA likes this.
  3. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Really? Don't you let your kids play with your instruments? Please join the thread :)

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Very cool.
    I wish I had some to share.
    6 kids but never recorded anything.

KulNova likes this.
  5. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    not playing bass (I have that covered), but she's helping out with the vocals on some Drowning Pool

100_1477.

JRA and KulNova like this.
  6. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Here is another video long ago when my boy was 2 year-old

CORBS likes this.
  7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    image. image. This was a couple of years ago. I just picked that bass up from a guitar guy that de-fretted it and came by the girlfriend's house while the grandkids were there. Naturally, I had to break it out. Naturally, they had to give it a whirl...:D

KulNova likes this.
  8. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Finally, my going-to-be 4-year-old son accepted to take official bass lesson from me. Even though the Sandberg bass is half of his weight, and it hurts a lot, he suffered every pain and performed well in the first lesson.

9. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    And this is him again in the second lesson on the next day. You can hear the meow sounds. That's called a Petronome, an iOS app that I have developed for my customers a few years ago, simply a fun metronome for kids to play with. If you are looking for a similar Metronome for your kids, please check it out www.petronome.net

10. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    My boy after the first week, on his 8th practice day. He started to feel the metronome beats more naturally... I'm glad. Looking for a 25" scale bass for him to practice. My bass is way too big, heavy and long for him

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i could show pictures of my kids, but they're playing video games. sorry:(

KulNova likes this.
  12. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    LMAO... Maybe they should try the "Guitar Hero" game LOL

pacojas likes this.
  13. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Recently, I found and bought him a cheap price short scale bass (25" scale with small body), but feel and sound cool for the price. Check out him with his first bass in life :)

14. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam

This is one of the most surprise, happy, proud moment of a daddy. I gave him the bass, turn on the drum machine and say nothing, just let him play with he felt inside. Surprisingly, he started to groove exactly the way I would have suggest him (as I have been doing with my students). Played one simple note on the first beat, and that's it for the start. Tried to groove on the first beat as long as he feels comfortable with it.

I don't know why he found the first beat by himself naturally without any instruction. Even some of them were missed just a bit, but I truly believe that he knew where the beat was.

After a while, he started to do more for the rhythm. Yes, I know, this is nothing, this is not a nice groove or any fancy. But the point is, these were all of his natural feelings, which I'm proud of him :)

15. I can't give you pics of kids, but I can give you pics of my granddaughter! The top photo is her and her Danelectro Longhorn I gave her a couple years ago playing in the jazz band at school. The bottom one was a couple days ago when she was visiting us in Florida from Michigan. I had her strike a pose with my Rick 4003s which she really took a liking to! image. image.

KulNova likes this.
  16. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Nice photo, nice bass player with great bass. You must be a proud grandpa :)

17. She is a Clarinet player primarily, and a not super motivated bass player second, and then Ukelele next! She does have a rather diverse taste in music however! Tame Impala, 70's Classic Rock, and some French Electronic Swing band or something whose name I cannot remember at this time. She likes some really weird obscure stuff which I think is great! When I was her age it was all the Classic Rock bands and nothing else!

KulNova likes this.
  18. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    That's nice! I have started to learn music when I was 3. I studied piano at that time. Then classical guitar and then bass until now. Also play a Tenor Sax :) But Bass is my primary and biggest passion :)

19. I have the feeling when she leaves school she may leave music behind as far as playing. At least thats the impression I got from her visit this week. I'm hoping I can motivate her to keep at it, but she got this idea that pursuing music or art, because she does paint and draw, is a good way to starve to death in the real world. I try to tell her she should try and pursue her dream whatever it is, and if it don't work out go for a backup plan. You can still play or paint as a hobby or a little extra income, but it doesn't mean you set it aside and stop learning.

KulNova likes this.
  20. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    I do agree with you man. That's exactly my case. Even though I don't take it as a backup plan, but it's a parallel job. Beside working as a bass player in a local Progressive Metal band, do all originals using Vietnamese traditional musical materials. We are doing a great job in the music industry. However, some of us have a day job to take care of the finance, so I can really pursue our music taste. That helps us NOT to just play music for a living, but keep up the quality of the music that we compose and play.

Have you watch a masterclass of Louis Johnson. A student asked him for his suggestion to be a good bass player. He simply answered "Get a good day job".

Hope you grand daughter will make a good decision for here.

Cheers from Vietnam!

1stnamebassist likes this.