Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Photoshop boredom - Mixing up some basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minimaul, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I took a week off of work, and I'm completly bored out of my mind. To the point.

I'm a Iron Maiden fan - I'm not going to say I'm the biggest 'cause I'm only about 150lbs. I'm sure there's bigger. But, I love the way Steve's bass looks (some of 'em). But I'm not a big fan of the precision basses. So , I made it into a Jazz bass, which I prefer more. Along with Block inlays. It's not really a 100% jazz bass, with the color scheme. It's a bit of both.

It probably needs an extra knob. I don't know much about the guts of a bass, so I just did it the easy way. My photoshop skills are minimal too.

If I had the means I would totally custom make this bass myself. I just don't have the money, or stuff I need to do it.

Anyway, the pictures.

Original Picture:
    [​IMG]

-

This is the Jazz version:
    [​IMG]

-

pick up covers!
    [​IMG]

The pick up covers look kind of cheesy. But whatever. I'm not as bored as I was. heh.

*shrug*

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    That's a fine looking instrument i must say

3. i wish i knew how to use photoshop...lol.

Can you put a tortoise guard on an essex 62 sunburst P. Plus some nice ashtrays.
    Thats my only possible gas right now.
    Hehe. Or maybe a fretless, or maple boarded fret/fretless, or SX jazz.
    But essex is my only option.
    Why am I rambling here.... oh yeah.
    Cool pics.

4. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I doubt I can add all that stuff.

I just copy & pasted parts from other things, erased as needed, "clone stamp" owns!

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Now add a fender neck to a Thunderbird! Sorry, I have a fetish for fender necks on gibson bodies. :oops:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But the body is still P shaped.

7. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I didn't want a full jazz bass. just bits and peices. All i had to do to make a harris jazz is color it blue. but I didn't want to do that. for what reason i don't know. I just wanted an idea of what it would look like.

8. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Here's a wacky modulus. Not quite proportioned correctly but...

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    [​IMG]
    aside from the word, "Modulus," it looks like the answer to the question, "What if Ritter made a headless singlecut?" Very cool!

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    :D

11. yikes.

12. the Steve Harris Signature looks so good.

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Well, after seeing that sweet dinky P body that Nino posted, I wanted to see the thing complete, so I've been building the bass from individual parts from other basses. Here's a pic of the almost finished bass. Just needs some strings I'm currently extracting from an Ibanez neck and it'll be all finished!

Here's the punchline, all done in Microsoft Paint! :smug:

There's a fretboard dotless and unfretted version in the thread about the body.

[​IMG]

The tuners are on the wrong side of the pegs (as on the Ibanez head I took them from) but I'll fix that when I finish the 2xMM stringed up version I'm working on. :D

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Here's the finished pic.

[​IMG]

15. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Yeah if Ritter made a headless singlecut then the next question to be answered would be- could anyone afford it? The euro is trashing us on exchange rates, and the new Ritters are waaaay too expensive. Disproportionate neck and pickups aside, that's the rough idea for my new bass. Anyone wants to make it for me let me know

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    First of all, you don't need photoshop to do this stuff, just some zoomage-in action and lots of time on your hands.

second of all, I was bored so I made this for ya.
    It's a fretless, but this is the best they had on their site.

[​IMG]

17. this has nothing to do with basses!
    [​IMG]

18. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Wow. I'm glad I have things to do all the time and haven't completely lost my marbles by spending my day in Photoshop.

Nice work, all:D