Phrase looper options

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I'm thinking of buying a Digitech JamMan. Are there other (cheaper) alternatives? Are there are any basic delay pedals that can give a usable sample time (min c. 20 secs I guess)?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The most inexpensive ones out are the Boss RC-20 and Digitech JamMan. The Line 6 DL4 can loop too.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  4. Oo - anyone care to comment on this chap?
  5. I have the older gray version of the akai headrush and it works really well for delay and looping. Easy to use. I've never messed around with the 4 head tape delay on it, but as a normal delay it has all the necessary controls like tap tempo, feedback, and high frequency damping. I use it mostly as a looper and it works well. I also have a boss rc-20 and it has input gain, which the headrush doesn't. The sample time on the boss is much longer, the akai's is only about 13 sec, which is still usable for me. I like the footpedal triggering on the headrush better and they both have overdubs. But as a looper, the max sound output level of the akai isn't nearly as great as the boss, and you can't save anything on it like you can on the boss. This wouldn't really matter too much, or at all, if you're using it for delay only.

If delay is more important find a used headrush, my older gray one is pretty much exactly like the newer blue one, esp for delay.

If looping is more important, go with a boss rc-20 or rc-20xl, they have better sound quality and longer sample time. The newer 20xl has an undo/redo function for the overdubs that the 20 does not, otherwise they're the same. I'm currently drooling over the rc-50 and trying to find gear to sell and justification for its purchase, I'm into the band in a box thing and do a lot of live looping beat creation. But, it depends on the application and in most situations the rc-50 would be overkill. The rc-20's are very versatile and powerful and they work great.

A guitar player I play with uses an older rackmount jamman and it works great for him and it sounds good, but I am not as familiar with it. (That's all we need is to have a guitar player lay down another part right!)

The akai will be the cheapest. Rc-20/xl 's are all over ebay. It's well worth it if you can snag one for $150 ish.

Hope this helps.
  6. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    When I was looking for a looper I immediatly went to the boss, it was right in my price range, and after palying it it was everything I wanted from a looper. It was very easy to use, and had a good amount of storage time, I just ended up really never using it, so I'm now selling it. I'd put a lot of thought into it before buying one, because from my personal experience, unless you practice with it a lot, it get's really old pretty fast.
  7. darn i just saw this thread today...i was going to suggest the boss DD-20, becuase even if you don't dig the looping, it has a slew of cool delay effects!
  8. That Zone Möbius thing nearly ideal, apart from the fact that I can't get a good sound out of it (prob due to running it on a pants Win98 machine) and also - er - pressing R to stop and start the recording means I can't easily stop and start the recording bang on the beat. Shame.