Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phrase Sampler?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by halfnote, Mar 9, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I went and saw Keller Williams last night and he would step on a little box, play a couple of bars, step on the pedal again, and the phrase would loop back over and over. He would create bass and percussion lines this way then jam back over the top of it. It was really swell. Do I need to get all midi'd out to do this? Or is there a one stop piece of hardware that does this?

Thanks.

1/2note

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I perform solo bass with looped accompaniment....what you witnessed was such a thing. There are many (or a least a few) different loopers on the market. They differ from a "phrase sampler" in that they allow you to do overdubs on your loops (infinite overdubs at that). Yes, some are complex and powerful and allow MIDI interfacing, and others are much simpler and guitar or bass friendly. One such unit I use and recommend is the Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler/Loop Sampler. It allows for 28 sec. of looping time...overdubs...even reverse mode. It also has digital models of 15 other "classic" delays (analog, digital and even tube echoplex models). No MIDI, and it is in a footpedal form. Very simple and easy to use....and very affordable!
    Recently I performed at the world's first Solo Bass Looping Festival (where TB's very own Steve Lawson was the headliner) and all of the solo bassists there used the Line 6 pedal (as well as several of us augmenting that with rack mounted loopers).
    Besides just being a fun thing to play with...it is a valuable learning tool; allowing you instant access to "recorded" tracks which you can then play to...and further explore elements of melody and harmony and rhythm.
    Max

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Cool. I am researching that Line 6 right now. What would you recommend for a rack mounted unit? Are there any mp3's out there of that Loop Festival? I gotta hear that.

-1/2note

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Electrix has just come out with The Repeater.....something like 9 min. of Loop Time!! Yes, it is MIDI. Tons of bells and whistles....somewhere in the 600-700 dollar bracket.
    For about the same Gibson/Trace Elliot has the Echolplex Digital Pro.....
    For the money Line6 is hard to beat. I love mine.
    We're are working on mp3's of the looping fest...I'll let you know.....
    Max

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If I may chime in -
    The Boomerang is a wonderful unit www.boomerangmusic.com. Like max i am a solo performer, author of the book, The Chordal Approach (Bass Player's, March 2001, page 86), lesson columnist for Bass Frontiers Mag and Ask The Pro right here at talkbass. I can't say enough about the boomerang and what it has done for my playing, practicing and musicianship. I have 2 MP3's at www.mp3.com/diminbass - 1 with Bass loop, bass melody, drums and keys and one with just me and my 'rang. Also check out my lesson page at www.bassically.net. I have an arrangement there of "Footprints" which is solo bass with looper.

Mike

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Re: MP3s of the solo bass festival - they may appear at some point. Sadly, my MINIDISC recording of the gig is distorted a little (mic sensitivity switch was on high) but I might try and rescue some of it.

There's tonnes of live real audio of what I do on my website, and my album 'And Nothing But The Bass' is completely live - just me (except one duet with a pianist). You can listen to the real audio before buying it.

Scott Kungha Drengsen who also played at the Solo Bass Fest has an album out, available at www.basscapes.com - see www.solobassnetwork.org.uk for more links to solo bass player sites...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I found a place that has both the line 6 and the boomerang in stock so I am going to go take a look this week. I gotta have one of em'! Mike, I was digging your mp3's so hard I think I blew a speaker on my computer..need better ones anyway!

Thanks for the links!

-1/2 note

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks so much for the kind words

Mike

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    For more information on all things loop-esque, have a look at www.loopersdelight.com - great site, cool discussion list and loads of reviews and comparisons of the different boxes available...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Mike,

Wow, great stuff out on MP3.com; that "Little Sister" track is just flat-out smoooooothe!

I'd really like to hear that arrangement of "Footprints", but the www.bassically.net takes me to a site advertising Brant Kelsey's web-design services. Might I find that clip elsehwere?

11. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Deeter,

A period got stuck at the end of Mike's link, remove it and will take you to the appropriate site. It's a great site. So is www.loopersdelight.com !
    Thanks Steve!

-1/2note

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks,
    Here is the footprints link - http://www.bassically.net/lessons/online_lessons.htm

13. Just picked up the Akai Headrush today, traded my trust DD-3 towards it.

I got it mostly for looping and it seems to be just the thing. 23 seconds of sample time and very easy to control once you get used to dancing on the switches, a little hard with a volume pedal hooked up-haven't figured out how to edit the loop without putting in the pc.

I talked the local shop down and with the trade in paid 120.

the regular delay sounds are really good, warm and I have much more control than the Boss box offered. tape delay is a bonus. I think you get more for less with the Akai. Wish the case was metal however...

14. I researched many a looper and settled on the Headrush. I love it and couldn't recommend it more. The Boomerang took up far too much real estate and was just too darn noisy for my liking. I also wasn't looking for 4 minutes of sample time (!) The 'Rush was a third of the price and I find it to be every bit as flexible. 23.8 seconds is more than enough time for me. It has a very simple interface and takes no time at all to set a loop live. I use it for filling out my 3-piece prog-dub band and my band mates love it. Ok, my drummer hates it because if you are even a NANO-second off.....well he just has to pay very close attention. One tip for other 'Rush users; If you have any trouble matching the effect level (the sample) to the dry level, try running a line from each output (dry+effect) into the active and passive inputs on your amp. The passive input will give the weaker effect output the xtra oomph it needs to be louder than the dry line (you want that.) Balance accordingly with the mix knob. Neat trick, eh?

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The Boomerang is only noisy if you don't set the input gain correctly. When done right it is very quiet. Quiet enough for me to record with

Mike

16. Y'know....I messed with my pals 'Rang for many days and came up with many "acceptable" levels for noise but no matter how hard I tried it wasn't as quiet as my Akai. MUCH more flexible, definitely, but not quieter. I liked the ability to mach to line or instrument with the gain and all but at a third the price I found the Akai to be the better deal. Now how about that new Roland loop station? Methinks I spanked my money down a few monthes too soon. That box holds 8 seperate loops and I bleleive it also has a tap tempo quanitizer? That would have been one handy tool for live performance. Oh well.
    http://www.rolandus.com/images/RC-20_L.jpg
    Check it out......

17. Here's a drawback to the Akai - no good manual. anyone know about an online manual to supplement the two page photocopy instruction sheets that came with the box.
    Also been playing with the multiple lines out and me thinks some cool ass stuff is starting to jive.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I recently spent some time with the DL4. The salesman (a drummer) swore that on the longer loops it would slow down over time. He had mentioned how much trouble he had using it with a click track. We synced to a metronome and he was right. Anybody using the DL4 notice anything similar?

Mike Dimin

19. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    How on earth did you sync it to a click track, it isn't MIDI? I've certainly not noticed any slowing down, or any problems with it at all (beyond having to keep the power supply away from audio cables as it isn't shielded all that well).

I'm not sure how it could slow down, or how you could sync it, Mike - let me know. It may well be that I'm missing something here...

looking forward to hearing your album

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Steve,
    next time I see the drummer I'll ask him how he did it. It was, on my part, heresay. He owned one and was having such a difficult time that he sold it. What I did find was that a longer loop seemed to slow down against a metronome. The shorter loops were fine. To make a real determiniation I think I would need to use it for a while.

I checked out the page for the Roland Loop Station - it seems pretty cool -but as of yet I have seen no price on it.

Mike