1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phrase Samplers/Loopers w/built-in drums?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ric426, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Are there any loopers besides the RC-50 that have decent built in drum patterns (variety of patterns, different time signatures)?
    I'm mainly looking for a tool that will let me lay down a drum pattern and basic grooves and progressions to practice over and while the RC-50 sounds like it'd do everything I'm looking for it's pricey for what I be doing.
    Would it be cheaper to get something like an SR-16 drum machine and a cheaper looper that would allow me to slave one off the other via MIDI?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The RC-2 does it and it's one of the cheapest loopers around.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I'm pretty sure that like my RC-20, the RC-2 has essentially a metronome as opposed to a drum machine. However, the RC-20 lets you save up to 11 loops, which you can work off of, and which can be drum patterns from some other source. I think the RC-2 may have the same feature.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Johnny DiMarco demonstrating the product

User's guide

Attached Files:

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Wow, I thought the RC-2 was the same as the RC-20 but with only one foot switch. I stand corrected.

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I haven't tried it, so can someone else answer whether or not they're basically metronome's? The RC-20xl has maybe ten (?) different metronome sounds, so this may be similar.

OP, you're not gonna get any sort of midi control on a cheap looper so no slaving unless you spring for one that'll be good enough to have something like the RC-50's feature set anyway. Actually, the Boomerang gets you midi (there are a whole lot of other trade-offs here though), but it's in the same ball park as the RC-50, same price if you haggle.