Phrase Trainer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big String, Nov 10, 2003.

1. I've avoided buying a phrase trainer for some time now. I'm being asked what I want for Christmas from my family and I'm real tired of socks and boxers etc. Anyway I thought that a phrase trainer might be useful on some harder to hear/figure out tunes I work on. I don't really need one or I would have had one already but it seems like it would be useful. The small amount of research I've done leads mostly to the Toneworks Pandora boxes with mixed reviews. I really don't need any of other features and the phrase trainer seems to be just an extra. The newer PX4 or what ever the number is seems to be improved all the way around. Most complaint are it's too small and the controls are difficult to work.

Any just phrase trainers or mostly phrase trainers? Any experiences with the type you put a CD into.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have the Akai U400. This has 1/8" stereo ins and outs plus 1/4" mono so you can jack into a stereo or your amp. One advantage of this unit is you can use ANY source: CD, tape, LP, you name it. Since I still get tapes from some bandleaders this was important.

I had tried a friend's PX3 Pandora which worked OK (and could slow down further, to 25%) but liked the fact that the Akai had better looping features and a "freeze" function (you can grab ONE NOTE). I also looked at the Sabine units and the Akai beat them as well.

I bought my Akai long before the Tascam CD-BT1 (or the guitar version) came out. I suspect some competitors may come out within the next year, but if you want to buy TODAY it's the only choice for an all in one device. The Akai, Pandora and Tascam are all about the same price, of course.

Fidelity of all these units is not real good at 50% and below. Software packages (like Amazing Slow Downer and Slow Gold) have better sound at all speeds and can go much slower (like 10%!!!!) because they have more powerful processors (your PC) but tether you to your computer. If you have a PC where you practice already, then these are cheaper and well worth investigating.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just use Winamp with a loop plugin and maybe a timestretch plugin - voila, instant phrase trainer for free!