phsychobilly bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basspunk666, Aug 22, 2003.

1. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    hey ive been playing bass guitar for a while but i want to start playin DB from infuences like tiger army and nekromantix. thats really all i want to play just i want to know around how much this would cost(australian).im lookin for a second hand one and i dnt really want to pay that much. like not more than about 800-900 or 1000 at total max so could someone help me out.
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    You could probably find one used somewhere in that dollar range I would think. I'm not familiar with Psychobilly, but I assume it's similar to Rockabilly with maybe higher volume and different haircuts. If that's the case, then quality isn't as much a question as whether or not the thing can be stood on or not, and anything will do. But if you want to really learn the DB then spend just a bit more, and check out the Newbie links at the top of this forum for tons of info on lower priced instruments.

G/L, have fun!
  3. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    yeh its like rockerbilly but more hardcore. i dnt really care what it sounds like to much as long as i can slap it and stand on it. that would be all really. ill start lookin. thanx
  4. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Although this may be true for Psychobilly, I feel insulted as a Rockabilly lover by this comment.
  5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm not a rockabilly player myself, but one of my best pals leads a rockabilly unit ( He's been playing it for a couple of decades. Makes his living doing it. He's a fine musician and one of the hardest working players in town. He can play and sing his ass off, and a lot of it ain't simple.

He DOES have rather a nice haircut, though.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just remember that you can stand on any Double Bass. ONCE. If you really want to find a bass that you can stand on and still play afterwards, you'll have to shell out some $$$ to have some modifications done (which will make the bass sound like ****) which will allow for this type of abuse.
  7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Buddy,
    I apologize if I offended you and the Rockabilly style, I didn't mean to. I saw the Brian Setzer trio in Nashville in July, and absolutely loved the show. That band was as tight as anything I've seen, and alot of fun. During that show we watched Johnny "Spazz" Hatton beat the living tar out of his bass, dragging it across the stage, swinging it around, laying on his back and holding it in the air with his feet while he played, and of course standing on it, while soloing! For the most part during the songs he didn't seem to be too technique-focused, but when he soloed it was definitely something to hear, even standing on it. We assumed that the bass itself may have been of the disposable variety, or at least veryfrequently repaired, hence my comment.

That was during the NAMM weekend, and at the NAMM show the younger Rockabilly guys were coming to our booth, asking which of our basses they could stand on.:) One guy even asked if he could try it there at the booth, to see if it would hold his weight. I'm just glad I wasn't on a coffee break when he came by. :D There's apparently a resurgance of R-Billy in Nashville, some bands were playing on Broadway, which is normally Country music territory.
  8. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    I didn't want to say it wouldn't be a common thing for Rockabilly players to stand on their basses. Even a lot of guys in the old days did that (as does Ray Campi, one of my favorite players). AFAIK, this can be done to any non-modified well-built ply without harm, if the player takes care and balances well. It's just stage antics and considered showmanship and can be nice to watch, but it can't make up for sloppy playin', IMO.
    Personally, I won't do it, because I'm more of a clumsy fellow and have too much respect even for my crappy chinese bass shaped object.
    I was more offended by the assumption that Rockabilly players in general didn't care for good tone and quality basses. Serious ones do. Big time.

End of rant, peace!

Speaking of quality plywood basses, I'd love to play this one!
  9. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I play rockabilly, country, swing, and pop stuff. I pick tone over being able to stand on my bass:D