1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phun with Phinishing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I thought you might be interested to have a peek at my first spray finishing efforts on a bass body (I've done several in oil finishes)

RGW_Pbasses_VintageWhiteAndSunburst.

The P-bass body on the left has had the following work performed over the past month

* 6 coats of sanding sealer, leveled between every other coat, last pass leveled with 600 grit, no high spots or sand thru
    * 6 coats of ReRanch Vintage Cream, leveled with 600 grit between every other coat, no high spots or sand thru
    * first coat of clear gloss went on yesterday (about two hours before the image was taken) - I got a little dust in it (I am forced to spray on my back porch for safety reasons), so I'm going to have to level this coat pretty close to the last color coat in a couple places. After this is cleaned up, I have a total of six to eight more coats of clear gloss to apply before this sits for a month in anticipation of its final leveling before buff out.

The P-bass body on the right had its final coat of sanding sealer applied earlier this week, and will get its final leveling this weekend ... then it's time to cut-out a body template from cardboard so I can shield the main surface when I spray the edge coat of black - color 1 of 3 in giving this a Sunburst finish. Once I have several coats of black, I'll apply one or two coats of clear, and then shoot the entire body with the transparent yellow. After this will be a couple coats of clear followed by the application of the red band and lots more clear gloss.

So far it's been a great learning experience, and the Reranch products are a snap to work with. I got the hang of laying a good wet coat without runs about the third coat of sanding sealer. The color coats were almost the easiest to apply, but the first gloss coat wasn't too bad, either ... it was just the sanding sealer that I had to be really careful with because it was just looking for an excuse to orange peel or run.

More images to come in the following weeks ...

all the best,

R

2. Looking great! My first efforts with spraying were not nearly as successful as yours! Heck, even my current efforts don't seem as good!

Spray cans are nice, but I suggest you invest in an oil lubed compressor and a nice mini (touch up) spray gun. I have been using a Devilbiss SRi that uses 4cfm and has a fan pattern of 7" which is doing an amazing job! As for the safety stuff, I built a small spray box for my garage shop using a box fan and home depot filters. I'm spraying waterbased target coatings products (but KTM9 will work just as well) and you don't have to worry about fires or whatever. A small compressor is good enough to drive that gun (and most mini HVLPs). Plus you can use a blow gun!!! I can't live without my blow gun now!

You can get your investment back in the first couple of basses (I'm assuming the price you've been paying for finishing your basses is in the ball park I see for guitar finishers that outsource ...between $250 and $500).

3. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    correct - $250 (clear gloss) and up for outsourced finishes.

the new shop will have a finishing booth for sure. until then, I'm working thru what I can/can't do in an apartment setting, as this will be my lifestyle in about another month until the new house and shop are built. somehow I don't see my wife being too accompanying to a large air compressor in the living room ... but the blowgun would make dusting easier :D I've had a good compressor forever, and I can't imagine being without a blowgun while working a project in the shop. I'll have to hone up on your tool recommendations

I'll admit that I was pretty aprehensive about tackling a sprayed finish myself. I know this one isn't up to Sadowsky standards, but it's pretty close to what you find on a MIM Fender. I can live with this for my first effort, knowing that I succeeded in applying a passable finish on my first effort. I credit a lot of this to having oil finished several bodies and necks - learning how to sand for a perfect oil finish makes the sanding for a spray finish quite easy to do IMO

all the best,

R

4. I almost took a plant electrical engineer job with DeVilbiss at their Somerset,PA plant about 20 years ago...I didn't want to move that far from my home town (2 1/2 hours), NOW look where I am...not that that has anything to do with the topic...lol...

back to topic....the cream coloured P-bass is gonna be HOT!...GREAT JOB, Rodent...I think a black pickguard and a maple fretboard would look awesome with that colour.

5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I've been planning to utilize a Maple/Birdseye 21-fret neck (with zero fret and side dots only) as well as a pearloid/w/b/w pickguard.

[​IMG]

I've been debating on whether to use black or white pickup covers. Hmmm ...

I'll have to see what a black guard looks like with the Birdseye board. Thanks for the idea

all the best,

R

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    WHITE WHITE WHITEEEEEEEEE PUPS!!!!

7. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    being very careful with a tender 13 hour young clear coat finish, I put a neck and pickguard together with the body to see how a Rosewood fb might pair with the Vintage Cream

RGW_Pbass_VintageWhite_TestFit.

not too bad, eh? I think I still like a Birdseye fb better, but the Rosewood is definitely growing on me

all the best,

R

8. nice, but not really my cup-o-tea...white perloid on white, or on a dark colour...but on the cream, I still say black PG and maple fretboard...

9. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I shot my first black body this afternoon after several extra prep hours this week making sure everything was perfectly level/contoured. it's been hanging for an hour now, and an inspection under direct lighting revealed that I got this one on the money. one more coat of black to go and then it's time for all of the clearcoats

RGW_Pbass_FirstBlackBody.

I'm thinking Tort pickguard and a Maple/Rosewood neck with matching headstock at the moment. I could still be persuaded into a Maple/Maple neck with white Pearloid pickguard though

all the best,

R

10. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Maple/maple and white pearloid, black headstock. I like the maple necks you produce.:hyper:

11. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I did one similar to that before, except it had a vintage cream Pearloid pickguard vs it being white

c1e99d1a.

I really liked that one

all the best,

R

12. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Add a set of chrome tuners on that black headstock and......................"BAM"

13. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Hmmm ... white pearloid or Tort???

RGW_Pbass_Black_TestFit_WhPearl.

RGW_Pbass_Black_TestFit_Tort.

I still need to clearcoat the body and let it cure, but it's looking rather nice so far. I may just have time this weekend to get that headstock colored as well

all the best,

R

14. I like perloid myself. I'm about to build one of my F models in black and will be using a black perloid pickguard, so I'm a little biased.

15. i vote tort!

16. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    R,
    Glad the RR stuff is working out so well for you. I'm about to begin finishing my first bass, which is also my first scratch build. What sanding sealer and primer did you use? And are you using the RR clear as well? Awesome work!

17. of the 2 i vote pearloid

18. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    on the black bass....use the cream pearloid pickguard, black headstock and all black hardware, and black strings, and sell it to me

19. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    the wall just grew by one :D

I decided not to strip down the botched Sunburst since everything was leveled and sealed. I scuffed it up with some 600 grit wet/dry, wiped it down with tacky cloth, and gave it a few coats of primer and a level sanding before re-shooting it with its first coat of Dauphine Blue ... I feel so 'Fender' for doing it this way :D

RGW_Bodies_VintageWhiteBlackDauphin.

this will get two additional coats of blue and then six of clear gloss before hanging around for a month in anticipation of a good buffing. I will also be finishing a maple/rosewood neck with a matching headstock ... and I'm thinking right now that this one is going to get loaded with a Dark Star.

all the best,

R

20. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I wonder how many people out there don't know they could have a burst under their solid color?