Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Physical fitness gurus, help me with my workout schedule

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, May 27, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Alright ya'll, here's the deal....

I'm weak, I'm out of shape, I'm unhealthy, and I hate the way I look. :meh:

I'm about 6'3 and I weigh about 160. I'm a beanpole. I want to add some mass in my shoulders, arms, chest, and legs. I also want to tone what little that I already have. I've recently come on to a job that has a VERY nice gym, so I can go work out before work just about every day so I plan to do so.

I don't expect anyone to take the time of building me a detailed workout schedule, but if someone can just point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. What are some good workouts to use for what I want, and assuming I can work out 5 days a week, how often should I do them?

Thanks a lot in advance.:hyper:

2. Well, if you're a "beanpole", then I'd suggest that you'll need to be doing mostly heavy weights so that you can put on mass rather than being a slightly defined stick. I personally wouldn't start off working out 5 days a week, certainly not on strength building exercises.

I'd suggest doing heavy weights on days 1, 3 and 5. Depending on how much time you have to exercise, you might be best off, atleast initially, doing chest and shoulder on day 1, legs on 3 and arms on 5. Motivation is a big thing to working out. Most of us start out keen and go at it far too hard, get sore and don't go back. While you're getting into shape, take it easy and make sure that you're getting enough protein in. I'd suggest that on days 2 and 4 you should do fitness/aerobic stuff. Examples would be exercise bikes, treadmills, punching bags etc. Its all well and good to build up muscle strength but you need your heart and lungs to be working well too. Not to mention the fact that both exercise types work together synergistically.

After you've gotten into a routine, have built up strength and your muscles are able to recover more quickly from exercise, then you can start, say, working out pecs, shoulders and arms together twice a week. It will take a while for you to be able to do that. If you're doing aerobic as well as strength training, your recovery time will decrease.

Of course, the main thing to realise is that its your body. You'll know when you can backup again to do the same set and when you can't. Also, if you're not eating a lot more food, then you're not going to get full benefits. Proteins, when looking to gain muscle, are a must.

Best of luck and if you have any specific questions on exercises etc., feel free to PM me.

Leigh

Just for reference, I'm 6'0, 210 lbs and a Rugby Union player. Over the previous off-season (3 months), I put on 22 lbs of muscle just by doing the above.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Sometimes I feel like working out. Then I lay down 'til the feeling goes away. Works every time.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haha, I have the same problem. I always have good intentions, and then I never follow through with them.

5. the first thing to do is begin lifting weights on monday, wednesday, and friday, and doing some sort of aerobic exercise on tuesday and thursday. you'll be sore on tuesday and thursday, so low impact is the key. that's biking, inline skating, or walking. the latter two are my favorites.

before you start "targeting" where you want to gain mass, i think it would be a good idea to build your body in general. what that means to me is that instead of focusing on different parts of your body on different days (working them only once a week) in the interest of time, a more basic, total body strength regiment would be more helpful.

try starting with bench press and biceps curls for your upper body and squats for the lower body. you may also find benefit in pushups some sort of ab workout. on mondays, do three sets of ten reps, adding 10 pounds to each set. so start out with (for example) 125 pounds on the bench press and do ten reps. add 10 pounds and do ten more reps. do a third set in the same fashion.

on wednesday, do three sets of five reps with a little more weight. so instead of starting at 125, maybe start at 135 or 145. fridays are for really testing what you can do -- three sets of 1 rep. so if you think you can bench press 165 pounds, start at 145 and do one rep. move up to one rep at 155. finish at 165 and feel like a man.

the same routine applies for biceps curls and squats.

you can worry about the lat tower and all the other machines later, when you've built up some basic strength first. and work with what you have -- don't try to do 125 or 185 or even 75 because someone said to, but instead use weights you can handle. start out low and be patient. you'll find that in the first month your body isn't even used the motion of lifting weights, so the amount of weight you can push around goes up very quickly as you acclimate.

one other thing i like to do to build strength is "natural" exercises -- hand stands, climbing trees, walls, or whatever else you can find, pushups, moving furniture, etc. all of these things will help increase your strength in useful ways.

also, fuel your body. eat a lot of protein (i like eggs and soy products and beans because i'm a vegetarian) and more food than you usually eat.

robb.

6. If your looking to put on more mass the first things you will need are a big screen TV and a very comfortable couch. Then get a subscription to FOOD magazine and hang out in the snack section of your local Supermarket.

Only real advice I can give is to take it slow. Health is always a work in progress.

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

I can personally say that I've seen the effects of adequate protein. My roommate this past year in college took nothing but protein supplements, ate right, and worked out every day and over the course of the year he put on over *30 POUNDS* of muscle. He was pretty big when we got there in the summer, but when we left he was absolutely massive.

I don't plan on starting the protein supplements yet, nor do I plan on jumping in there and trying to max out my first day in the gym. My aforementioned roommate tried to push me to the max the first time I went to the gym, and just like someone said, I didn't go back because I was so sore.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions:)

Anyone else?

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well we had a fire evacutation drill from my work yesterday. I work on the 53rd floor. Needless to say my legs got some pretty good exercise on the way down! :)

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You should know that some men don't build heaps of mass no matter what they do. But that doesn't mean they aren't strong. I see some really lean men at the gym who have tremendous capacity, both in terms of endurance and how much weight they can handle.

Others here have laid out some good programs for you. You may or may not ever achieve the muscle mass you desire. I think so much of that depends on genes, but you will build strength, flexibilty and endurance. Those things alone are reason enough to hit the gym regularly.

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    some good advice about work-outs and plans to put on weight. One thing I would consider is something realistic...the more muscle mass you put on the more you have to maintain. If you don't...then it will become flab eventually. I definately would have some good aerobic stuff going at least 3 days a week. Then hit the major muscle groups 3 days and rest is important too. I hit it hard Monday through Friday, but the weekend no workout time just for recovery.

good luck! stick with it and it will be very rewarding. :cool:

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey Ty...going to the gym is about more than pumping iron.

Don't forget your cardio. You'll notice benefits from a good cardio program faster than about anything else.

-Mike

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    This I definitely know, but thank you for reminding me again.

I know that I'll NEVER look anything like my roommate did even at the beginning of the year (before he blossomed). I DON'T have the bone or muscle structure to look like that. I would like to add more, but toning what I already have would be fine too.

I do plan to do regular cardio as well. I play basketball or tennis with my friends at least 2 or 3 times a week, so if I can supplement that with some good time on a bike, I'll definitely have a good routine going.

13. don't forget to stretch. stretch a lot. stretch every day. It'll make you more flexible and even increase the rate you gain muscle mass. good luck with your workouts.

14. As far as I know, its a myth that Stretching with reduce injuries.

Well, another misconception you should know about, you should always stretch when you body is warmed up, not before, and no, stretching and warming up are different.

I would point you to www.discussbodybuilding.com, there are very helpful people over there! :hyper:

15. oh yeah, dont forget to drink a lot of water too. If your urine is yellow, you need more water. :D

16. *sigh* I need more water.

Sounds like some good advice guys. I just started going to my local gym as well and so far so good. I have a fairly simple routine, 3 days week alternating between upper and lower body, cardio every day. I'm no fitness guru, but it seems to be working pretty well.

I enjoy feeling tired and worn out after a work out, it gives me a sense of accomplishment!

Do any of you guys know workouts for the forearm (And Don't Even Think About Posting Something Naughty). Also and workouts for the lower back.

17. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    forearms: reverse wrist curls--arm flat on a bench, palm down, handweights, raise and lower till it burns! :D
    lower back: standing dead lift--lift bar/weight from a bent-over position to a standing position---arms just hold the bar from the ground to your waist and then return to the ground/repeat. those hurt me just thinking about it. ;)

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    try this at home......tie a string around something heavy (like a gallon jug of water)....attach the string to a rod......hold the rod in your hands and raise and lower the heavey object by turning the rod in your hands ...something even simpler......grab a hammer, and hold it at the very tip of the handle......raise and lower it using just your forearm muscle......go very slowly, up and down, then back and forth....these won't give you Popeye forearms, but are great to do at home while watching tv.....when you get to the gym, do some wrist curls.....many of them

for my lower back, i don't use lots of weight, mostly isometric stuff......some seated rows will work though as far as weights go

-Mike

19. Well, what I know will help you more than anybody else's suggestions is a book by the title of "Core Performance". The author, Mark Verstegen, is a renowned trainer, and is extremely popular with professional athletes (f.i. Mia Hamm). He is also my cousin's trainer, who is the starting center for the New York Giants. Check the book out: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-8502455-6548047?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I have a lot of fitness books and videos, and this one takes the cake. I guarantee you that it is the best fitness book out there right now, full-stop. End of story. It is meant for people who are in your position, and professional athletes alike. That is what makes it amazing.

20. Yes! Pumping iron and gaining muscle mass will not get you "in-shape". What gets you in shape is a strong cardiovascular system, not a dainty weak one. Additionally, for example, being able to do 100 pushups in two minutes is a hell of a lot more important than being able to bench press a lot of weight. Sheer mass will do nothing for you. It is all about muscular and cardiovascular endurance.

You could not be more wrong!

Stretching is absolutely essential to reducing injuries.