1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Physical orientation and wiring of a P-Bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Please Help clarify some thing for me if you can.

I am about to install a replacement pickup into my P but I have no instructions etc. I know that most humbuckers have both the magnet and the wiring reversed from one coil to the other - I am guessing that the two halves of the P pickup are the same but I'm not sure. Anyone know about this for sure? Also are the two halves of the P pickup otherwise the same. It seems like one half of the pickup I have may be marked but I'm not sure if it is significant.

Is it important to orient the two halves properly with respect to one another? I notice that the backs of the two halves of the pickups attract no matter how I turn them with both halves touching back to back. This seems to indicate that the magnetic fields are oriented vertically within the pickups (pointing out the top and bottom of the bass if they were installed) and are opposite, hence the attraction. This may mean that the orientation with respect to each other when installed is not important, but again I'm not 100% certain - I just hate to take things apart again once they are installed.

OOPS, I also need to know if there are different considerations to think about with respect to orientation and wiring if it is a PJ because that is the next one I am going to upgrade.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Peace,
    S