1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Physics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fontaine, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    If i have the coefficient of kinetic friction, how can i find the coefficient of friction?

for instance i have a number like this:

a block on a 20 degree angle, with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.58, how would i determine the coefficient of friction?

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Boy, it's been 15 years since physics for me, but I always thought that the coefficients of friction (both static and kinetic) were determined experimentally. Therefore, you'd have to look them up (CRC Handbook of Physics). I don't think you have given enough variables to be able to solve for an unknown in an equation.

3. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You have the coefficient of kinetic friction. Are you looking for the coefficient of static friction? Are you looking for the frictional force?

The coefficient of static friction would have to be given. If you are looking for the frictional force, which is equal to your normal force * coefficient, sum your forces in the y direction.

N*cos(20)+f*sin(20)-mg = 0

f = N * mu

N*cos(20) + N*mu*sin(20) = mg

or

f*cos(20)/mu + f*sin(20) = mg

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I agree that the OP is confusion. We're missing something. He's asking for the coefficient of friction but not specifying which one. Forget it. I'm not a physic major.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    see im also missing data my group sent me that info and told me to get the "coefficient of friction"

i am also a bit confused because i thought i need the normal force (Fn)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Multiply by the sine of the angle.

7. +1, sum the forces in the Y and find Force of the ramp normal. What is the mass of the block?

8. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    What the hell are you talking about, Fontaine?