1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piano and bass, but no guitar (Song recommendations)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CopperheadLXXIX, Oct 29, 2010.

1. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Did a search and brought back a few suggestions, but hoping to dig a little deeper. Basically I'm looking for song recommendations that are all piano, bass & drums, but no guitar. Can be any genre-pop, rock, jazz, instrumental, whatever. Been writing a lot of music around those three instruments, but am curious to hear how others have gone about it.

2. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Two words: Ben Folds.

3. gfogarty

gfogarty

Feb 12, 2010
    Vince Guaraldi

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Mysteryclock: I used to listen to Ben Folds Five eons ago, and completely forgot about them, thanks for the reminder!

Gfogarty: Will seek out some Vince Guaraldi, thanks.

5. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Yeah, I've been following Ben's work since he was in "Jody's Power Bill" here in Nashville back before he moved to NC. Same approach - piano, bass & drums - and some of the same material including "Underground", but different guys in the band. Excellent stuff and a great live show to boot.

For a more retro view of what a (usually) guitar-less keys+bass+drums trio can accomplish, don't forget ELP too! I've always wanted to be in a power trio that could do this... even just to close the set/house.

6. bill evans,oscar peterson,and a million other piano trios in the jazz world....rock,not so much,unless you count electronic keys,b3's,et al

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Medeski, Martin, and Wood.
    Big Organ Trio.
    The Crash Kings.

8. i just recently found Bill Evans Trio "Waltz for Derby"(vinyl) "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"(CD). bought them because of Scott La Faro who i found out about here on TB. I gained a liking for Bill Evans even though i am really not into piano.

9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Bill Evans Trio

10. yarrr

yarrr

Oct 31, 2010
    yeah he's good :) just got re: person i knew. really brilliant deceptive stuff there. ahh and gomez aint a bad bassist either ;)

11. try out a few more until you find some you like....there are lots of different styles.....monk,duke,tatum,cecil taylor,paul bley.....enough to blow through your record buying budget permanently....

12. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Michel Camilo Trio - I'm partial to "Rendevous" w/Anthony Jackson and Dave Weckl.
    Marco Benevento Trio - the albums have Reed Mathis on bass and either Andrew Barr or Matt Chamberlain on drums. The touring bands vary things up a bit.

Speaking of Reed Mathis - check any Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey starting with "Self is Gone" (2000, during which, they dropped from 8 piece to 3 piece) and "The Sameness of Difference" (2005 or 2006) - during which they were a keys/bass/drums trio - the last two albums with Mathis, the band was still "technically" a trio, but were adding guitar and lap steel guitar into the sound. By the time Mathis left, they were a quartet.

+1 to the suggestions for Ben Folds Five and Crash Kings

13. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    Jamie Cullum is kind of a cross between pop and jazz. He does several lighter cover versions of rock songs as well.

14. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    On the subject of Ben Folds Five, I recommend 'Whatever and Ever Amen'. That album has some big time rockers on it with full on distorted bass and everything.

15. bassist502

bassist502

Aug 3, 2010
    Muse- Space Dementia, Apocalypse Please, Nishe, I belong to you, Sunburn

16. thanks i will check them out

17. ooh check out Gabe Dixon Band:

strap in for some killer bass playing, too.

18. As mentioned above: Crash Kings. Pretty successful/awesome band.

19. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Tori Amos

20. Try this one:
    "Because The Night"
    (various versions may use other instruments but they certainly don't rely on them)