Piano anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oddman545, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Hey,
    I've been interested in playing piano for a long time now and I'm wondering what do you need to do to get really good at the piano. I mean, I have an electric keyboard and I've looked at some beginning basics on websites and things. I can look at sheet music and play the music after some time, but I don't know anything behind it. Like I can play Fur Elise both hands but it took me a long time to figure out. Do you think a teacher would be a good idea? Any books? I have limited funds but I may get a job here soon so I might be able to do something with that. I really love piano...almost as much as bass. But I have this really good keyboard sitting right behind my amp in my basement and I really wanna be able to play it. I really enjoy listening to piano pieces from Bach and Beethoven and would like even more to play them. So if you have any suggestions or advice, please let me know because I really want to pick up piano.

2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think lessons are definatley the way to go if you want to truly be proficient on the piano. The only thing is though, make sure you find the "right" teacher. I say that because many piano teachers aren't truly that gifted of musicians and can only read the music that's written. Thus it passes on to their students. I remember back in high school, many piano students that could churn out tons of classical pieces (which I'm not knocking on by the way) but couldn't be able to play a 12 bar in F on the fly, or tell you what key the song was in, or improvise something with their left hand if just given a melody. Luckily, my piano teacher gave me extended lessons on chord construction and improvisation. (You almost have too, usually what they have written in the music books is pretty lame and empty sounding if you play it as written)

I haven't seriously played piano in a long time. I guess bass was more of my instrument, but I do think I have benefitted from my couple years of piano training. :)
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Piano is my main instrument. I'd say having some lessons is a good idea, but as Liquid says, look for a good teacher, it is most important. I've been playing piano for something like 11 or 12 years, and I've had lessons for about 5 of those, after going self-taught for maybe 5 years. I'm actually really glad I did it this way - not having lessons from the start. Because it was in this time that I learnt chords, and how to play by ear. I avoided becoming the kind of player Liquid described - being able to sight read Bach, but not play a Blues in F. However the lessons improved my sight reading (though it's still not too good, but I rarely find myself having to do it), but in particular improved my technique. I'm still learning from the things I was taught, and improving my technique and expression even though I stopped having lessons 2 years ago.

If it's classical you're interested in playing, lessons would be a particularly good idea, because technique and fingering are especially important. Personally I've lost interest in playing classical somewhat, I'm more interested in Jazz and Pop styles - which is far more free, which I prefer. If I do play classical, I would tend to take a Jazz approach, and embelish it and alter the chord voicings and stuff. Some would see that as Bastardization. I don't.
  4. I'm going to look into some lessons sometime soon. I like most anything on piano, but I particularly like the classical piano pieces. But thanks for the advice and info. :D