Piano Based Rock...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SteveC, Jun 1, 2005.

1. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A couple friends and I are attempting to put together what started out as a "classic" rock band, but due to the lack of a lead guitar player, it is more of a piano rock band. Our instrumentation:

piano and good rhythm-type guitar (think DMB)
    piano and just learning guitar
    bass (killer player ;) )

We have a bunch of Billy Joel and some Ben Folds.

With all the people on this forum, I figure someone has to know some more groups or songs that fit our instrumentation. I just heard a new group on VH1 called Keane that are kind of "popish" piano, bass, drums.

You don't NEED a lead guitar to be successful, right?
  2. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Dont rule out ole Elton now ... im sure you could jam down pretty hard on Benny and the Jets :)
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, I don't know your tastes, but there's always Bruce Hornsby. There used to be a group around the East Coast called Suddenly Tammy! that was piano-based and made at least two CDs. If you want to go back a ways, you could consider bands like JoJo Gunne or Traffic. Some Elvis Costello is pretty piano-heavy. Little Feat features great piano playing.
  4. Since Bruce Hornsby has been mentioned, I'll throw out AJ Croce as someone you might want to check out.
  5. How about some Leon Russel, or Doctor John?
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You guys need to cover "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Kool and the Gang
    Faith No More
    The Doors
    Peter Gabriel
    and tons of jazz.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Prior to 'maikn' it'...The Bruce Hornsby Band sounded a lot like Steely Dan.
    I recall a Doobies' concert on HBO back in the day...Mike McDonald was sportin' a Bruce Hornsby Band T-shirt(Jeff Baxter had an interest in the band as a producer, IIRC).
    I remember thing "Damn, someone from this area is making it".
    Then they were history...& then I recall seeing Sheena Easton on American Bandstand with Hornsby on keys; he got some major applause when introduced to the crowd.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...early Elton had no guitar.
    He has a live R&B-ish album with just piano-bass-drums.
    (Your guitarist can play some backbeat guitar parts & probably fall right into it).
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That was "11/17/70" or something like that? Back then, Elton was *working*.
  11. Keane is terrific. They use a lot of synths and extra computer noises too though. When I've seen them live (on the TV) the keyboard player has a laptop sitting on a rack with some sort of sequencer running playing whatever else.

Not a whole lot of guitar in Drum & Bass. Not exactly classic rock though!
  12. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Bruce Hornsby is another word for Jesus. Check him out.
  13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

:bag: uhm ok.. maybe not...

There's always the Beatles, too...

Heck.. bunches of Van Halen uses great Piano and keyboard action... (Jump, Right now)
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You guys need to cover a lot of Joe Jackson. His later stuff got a little cheesy, but lots of great material.

Yeah, old Elton too. Not the right setup, but you should check out some Morphine for some kind of Jazzy inspiration.
  15. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Spoon has some great minimalist songs that you could do. They are an indie band, so you may not know them. They have a new album out now. Give "the beast and dragon, adored" and "my mathematical mind" off of the 'Gimmie Fiction' album. Sorry, but there are no sax parts to their songs. They are relatively easy melodies, so you could make some up.
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thanks everyone. I'll suggest this stuff to the guys.
  17. Vanilla Fudge - Look of Love isnt too guitar heavy and can make for some trippy **** with two keyboards. Also, you can probaly arrange You Keep Me Hangin on with just rythmn guitar , make the keys play all of the lead parts.

+1 for Supertramp
  18. The Ben Folds Five ruled. I haven't caught any of the Ben Folds' solo stuff, other than Rockin' The Suburbs.