Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piano effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejoey57, Mar 1, 2006.

1. thejoey57

thejoey57

Jan 18, 2006
    Hey,

I'm looking for a pedal that can simulate that raspy sound you get from hitting the lower keys on a piano.

I hope that makes sense

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not that comes to mind. The only think I can really think of is a midi pickup into a midi sound module with a piano setting.

3. I just got an Akai Intelliphase pedal(thanks again, Davidmwilson:) )& w/the speed set slow & low depth(0 feedback, normal mode)it has(what seems to me)a piano-esque quality to it. I'd suggest checking out a phaser.

Edit: Maybe add a touch of overdrive for the raspiness you're after. Let us know if you achieve the desired result.

4. What I use is the Jim Dunlop Pick. ;)

Use a pick near the neck, and play hard. Thats about as close as you get.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Is that the pre-WTO pick with the reverse-parabolic bevel? I've heard the newer models don't sound as good.

:ninja:
    :D

6. you can get somewhat of a piano tone with the right strings, but that would probably change your whole sound!

7. thejoey57

thejoey57

Jan 18, 2006
    Yeah using a pick might do it. But I play with my fingers for everything
    I do have some dist/OD pedals/fuzz (Wholly Mammoth & some grunge pedal)

With the "piano effect" that I'm looking for I want it to have a type of distortion sound too.
    I play in a band that uses the piano and I want something that will match his sound but also with a little dist/OD to stick out a little (mainly for a slow song that would ring out notes)

Thanks for the replies sofar guys

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    the newer models sound ok, but only in Nylon 6/6.. not Nylon 6/12..

The older models are still better *nods*

9. I found that playing with fingers on a set of Elixer strings with the smallest of small amounts of chorus gave a general piano-y (not a real word but I like it) type tone, I think, It was a while ago that I had a set of Elixer's on last.. :meh: :confused: I forget....
    Piece of advice about Elixer's don't even let a pick look at them they peel really quickly and then sound horrible.... :rollno:
    As for the raspy sound, you might get that from a touch of de-tuning and some distortion (but the lightest of light amounts again) i'm guna have to try it this weekend....