piano pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Amastacatious, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    Is there any type of effects pedal for bass that would function like a damper pedal on a piano? I'd like to have some way of sustaining notes but not actually have to keep them fretted in my left hand. If there is a pedal that can do this, could someone please recommend a good one?

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, IIRC there was a thread like this for a while, same answer.
  3. the boss delay pedals have a hold feature that is somewhat similar to a piano sustain

i don't find it very useful though
  4. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah, any sort of extended sustain would be through a distortion pedal, unless you looped it on a tape delay or something. i think the boss digital delay just repeats what u play for as long as u need it to, not what you're looking for.
  5. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    you want a note to be held even after u remove your hand from it... with a piano, each note has it's own strings so they can be kept vibrating even after you play them, but on bass or guitar that's impossible.
  6. would it be possible to get something similar by taking a reverb pedal and setting a long decay for the note, but it would really be muddy after a while, and you wouldn't be able to control which note got sustained, but it should sustain notes, shouldn't it?
  7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Not impossible.

Two handed tapping anyone?
  8. For the record, cuz I'm a n00b piano player, how does a damper pedal actually work? How can the sound keep coming out? Does it lift the dampers off the strings?
  9. Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm not talking about tapping, I'm talking about playing a note, then not even fingering it but letting it ring.
  10. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    somone mentioned the boss pedals. My boss me-50b could be set to hold a note when the expression pedal was set. Sounds cool but it was more work then its worth, and you need to only play 1 note when you hit it.
  11. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA