Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piano Rock Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Hi

Im gonna to be starting a band soon and we have a singer, piano and me on bass. We are yet to find a drummer and we know a couple of guitarists that might be interested.

My question is what are some songs we could cover with these instruments. We are going to learn some ben folds five songs but i dont know any other piano rock bands

thanks

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    A lot of 70's progresive bands have pianos in them, or at least keyboard. Pink Floyd is one them. Also Phish has a piano in it.

3. Led Zep had various keyboards by JPJ. A few songs by the Who have piano as well. A piano will fit fine in most blues-based rock and/or roll.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Muse...I actually don't know anything about them, except that a few of my friends are obsessing over some of their piano parts.

5. AAAAAAAAAA. Muse is my favorite band of all time LOL. yeah, there an AMAZING band, and there guitarest is also amazing on piano and there music is just incredable. Go for "new born" that song is amazing. It starts out all nice and stuff, then around 1:20 in, iT JUST GOES NUTS WITH ROCKOUT. muse is the best band ever and i reccomend them to everyone. Not to mention, muse bass parts are really awesome. Not just root note bushwa. its really awesome. Great songs = new born, muscle museium (muscle museium or however you spell it was one of the first songs i learned on bass just becuase the bass line is really awesome). The song hyper music has great bass, idk what to say, ALL MUSE IS AWESOME. down load these songs, listen to them, then tell me what you think.

New born
    Muscle Musieum
    Hyper Music
    Sunburn (amazing piano song, i think this is my favorite muse song)
    Dead star
    Plug in baby

download thoes songs, and tell me what you think. AAAAAAA MUSE ROCKS!!~!!

- w00t

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Also...doesn't bens folds five have a piano player?

Is new born the song with that break down in E minor, that piano riff that does all those big leaps and chromatic steps(If you don't know what I am talking about I will transcribe the line)

if so, that is the only Muse song I know...and it definitely does rock.

7. I found some muse songs on my computer so i listened to them

New Born: I quit like this song, not sure about in my band though, not sure if we even have a guitarist but if we do, it would be a good song to do

Sunburn: Quit like this song, has good piano all the way through the song and is that a distorted bass i hear in the chorus?

Anyways thanks for those replies but keep them coming

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Piano based rock/pop = Billy Joel :)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, Ben Folds himself. And there's only three of them anyway.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Is "ben folds five" a poker reference?

I know nothing about the band, except my dorm mate listens to them a lot.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Elton John - Bennie and the Jets is a favourite piano rocker!! I heard he was the most popular live act in the US at one time!

Lots of Beatles songs are piano-based and to be really fashionable you could cover Norah Jones songs......or don't ColdPlay have some piano-based songs?

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, I don't think Ben Folds Five is a poker reference. It's a reference to the fact that the guy is called Ben Folds :D

And the joke was that, even though there was only three of them, they were called Ben Folds Five.

And yeah, Bennie & The Jets is a good one.

And yeah, Cold Play have done some piano based songs - e.g. "Trouble", as well as their latest one, "Clocks".

13. Ben Folds is your man..... most of his stuff can be performed with just P/B/V plus its just great music... he's still one of the best piano players out there for wirtting catchy well writen tunes..

Peace!!

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I used to be in a 3-piece piano, bass, and drum Rock type group... it was fun for awhile, then the pianist got a big head and the band subsequently ended.. oh well..

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Andrew WK: Party Hard

:D

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Kansas and Skynard come to mind.

Actually, most all Southern Rock uses piano or keys.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But he's looking for songs with piano and no guitars!! All these bands - especially Skynyrd - have loads of guitars!!

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yep. That's what he said in his second post. I should always look both ways before crossing the street.

Rock without guitars? With the exception of the gratuitous piano ballad that most all bands have done at some point, I can't really think of much.

And also Bruce, in seeing your post, it reminded me that I misspelled "Skynyrd." I hope they don't revoke my redneck membership card. I have held membership in good standing for quite a number of years. I think I may be safe though, considering I am a legacy.

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Here's a couple of others, there was a thread on Dr. John around here somewhere. Check that.

Also. Leon Russell, Roll away the Stone and
    Hard Rain Gonna Fall, come to mind.

Jerry Lee Lewis - Big Daddy talkin' here
    Chantilly Lace, etc.

Joe Cocker can be done on piano only, Delta Lady,
    The Letter, You can leave your hat on ...
    Which brings up Randy Newman. Short people, etc.

Some Stones material is well suited to Piano,
    You Can't Always Get What You Want,
    Let It Bleed

Just about any Chuck Berry song
    Maybelline
    Rock n Roll Music

If you wanted to get really whacked out, you could always update Vatican Rag or National Brotherhood Week from pundit Tom Lehrer. [ Oprah Winfrey and President Bush are dancing, Cheek to Cheek ... ]

Just about anything by Roomful of Blues.
    Any John Baldry tune.
    Any number of the Stax/Volt Duck Dunn, Otis Redding, Booker T. numbers. Soul Man, and the Blues Brothers covers.

We haven't even touched the jazz guys yet.
    There is just a boatload of stuff you can do, you just have to dig out the material, and see what you like, and adapt it to your style.
    -----------
    O-man

20. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hey man..
    Look into Bad Astronaut.
    Its realllly great stuff IMO.
    Its really really moody/ but upbeat at the same time.
    Joey Cape is a Genious! He really is.
    Check out there Smoking Popes cover "Megan."

Also good songs are: Solor Sisters, Jessica's Suicide(Armchair Martian Cover), Catherine Morgan.
    I find every song that they have released, I can listen to and still enjoy it! Its very Experamental/piano/punk type stuff. Very cool though.
    If You like the more upbeat stuff check out "Acrophobe". If you like the slower stuff check out there newest album "Houstin we have a drinking Problem."
    Even though Cape just released a new album with Lagwagon, I think he should just hang up lagwagon-as much as I love that band- and Do nothing but Bad Astronaut, cause they are one of the best bands ive ever heard.