Piano through bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, May 5, 2005.

1. Would it be possible run the output of an electric piano into a power amp and into a bass cabinet? I may be playing keys for my bands and want to know if this will hurt my cabinet at all. I heard somewhere that some bass cabinets don't like the long sustianed frequencies that pianos give off. Is this true? Doesn't seem like it would be a probably considering the two insturments ranges.
  2. i can't say i'm right, but i do this from time to time and my amp doens't matter, granted this as a combo amp so it might react a bit differently from your set up, as far as i know it works. i've also played the other way around, bass through keyboard amp. i don't think it really matters uch, they can both handle the frequencies well.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    To me it seems like it would be fine, although you probably won't get the best response when you travel into the upper register of the keyboard as a bass cabinet/amp won't accurately reproduce those sounds as well as a proper keyboard amp (i.e. full range) would.

Don't take my word for it though, wait for someone more experienced.
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you want the BassGods to smile upon, you won't do it :ninja:

Actually, we did it in High School. We had 2 Peavey Bass Combos, and used one for bass and one for keyboards. Didn't sound incredibly amazing, but it works.

I don't know how sustaining a note on a piano is any different than sustaining a note from a Bass.. especially for those of use who use synth, deep reverbs, and the like.
  5. Vanagon

Nov 13, 2004
    My friend played his Rhodes through my stack (Sunn 300T + 2 triads) when we recorded once and it sounded pretty damn good, especially the low notes.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It would be fine, but I think for the best quality you should go into a power amp and into PA speakers. Or a bass head into PA speakers. They would give you the highs for those high notes, but so would some good bass cabs too. :meh:
  7. It seems to me that since bass cabinets are generally full-range, there won't be a problem with highs playing anything through a bass cabinet. If I'm really wrong on this, though, someone feel free to set the record straight. If bass cabinets couldn't do high frequencies, you wouldn't hear so many overtones. And the treble knob on the amp wouldn't do much at all.
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its not that bass cabs can't HIT high frequencies, but in my experience using a keyboard on my amp thats all they do. There is no sustain in the higher notes, and I wouldn't expect any in an amp that has highs specifically for popping and the like. Now some cabs might have some sustain, but mine sure didn't. I was playing on a 212 run by a Crown power amp.
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would say not all bass cabs would be good for keys, but full range ones should be. Euphonic Audio says for the CXL-112 "will reproduce all instruments, basses, acoustic guitars, and keyboards alike."

Just turn the tweeter all the way up. I have played CDs through it this way. I also tried an Acme B2 with CDs and it sounded good, but thicker. Again, very full range by design.