Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piano?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dobedobe, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Can anyone play the piano and bass or is it just me? If you're interested in this technique get someone to tell you what the names of the keys on the piano are and you can play your favorite tune on there. The funnest part is "Last Ristes", you play the bass part on the piano and it sounds like you're playing the piano part.

2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    I play Lizt - Eroica for fun, that's about it. I'm a huge Glenn Gould fan though and listen to his stuff all the time but its to late for me to be practice serious though.

3. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    i ve always wanted to play hymns on my bass....

4. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    For thoose interesting in piano I can strongly advice you to check out glenn Gould : http://glenngould.com/gg/ He was a true genious.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You reckon you're the only bass player that can play piano? :meh: :D

However he uncontrollably sings along to what he plays :D

6. I just thought maybe I'd ask something different.

7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I've been playing piano pieces on my bass.It helps to have at least 7 strings,but a 6 string can get you going.

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    On the serious side,I've taken Bach two part inventions,and worked out the left hand to play the piano left hand,and the right hand to play the piano right hand. Some modifications have to be made because a piano has a key for every note.We don't,so some interesting fingering takes place. Yeah,I've hammered left hand bass while playing a keyboard with the right hand( I was not sober at the time), but that is why I originally bought a Stick. The tuning in 5ths with the low string in the middle of the neck is not a fun thing.You can do wonders on a 6 plus string bass,but I worked out Bach Chorales on a 4 string. It's a challenge, but it sounds cool-

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I can play the piano with my foot.

10. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    got any soundclips?

11. I'd like to know if anyone has played the bass for Black Sabbath's "N.I.B." on a piano. Anyone tried it?

12. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    coypu-yes,Bach two part invention for piano transcribed and performed on my Tobias 7 string and some original tunes where I took the piano part and played it on the 7 string,and 9 string.I'll have to figure out how to get it to you-I'm new here

13. Yeah, I play both instruments, although I'm a lot more serious about piano.

I don't think bass players know how much more difficult it is to play piano (to really play) than bass. I don't think they know how much discipline, dedication and study it takes.

That's kind of why I like bass. You don't have to be too good, yet you can be in a band, play gigs with your band, meet weird people and have a lot of interesting experiences.

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Currently learning Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on 6 string bass. Need to be near a piano to do that...

15. I'm just finishing up Class Piano 1 this semester, the class crams roughly 2 years worth of lessons in roughly 12 weeks. Challenging, but a great experience....I'm off to Class Piano 2 and Music Theory next semester..then all of the dreaded math courses after......
    Twenty years out of school..now finally going back and after a degree.
    The teacher has shown me how to accomplish those
    rather huge Brahm's-like stretches...quite a mind-stretching class...homework is actually fun.