Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pic of my new Dingwall ABII 4 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daytona, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Sheldon shipped it today, so I should have it by Monday or Tuesday depending on Customs. Apparantly, it weighs almost nothing. Here is the only picture that I have so far. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives. For those who haven't had the pleasure, Sheldon Dingwall provides amazing - and I mean amazing - customer service, and he builds fantastic basses.

2. Zillium

Zillium

May 27, 2003
    Michigan
    Sweet bass, what are the specs?
    [​IMG]

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sheldon RULES!

:D

We got a ABII-6 in the shop a few days ago, and it's an amazing bass, beautiful, plays incredibly, sounds astounding. You'll love that bass Daytona.

I see that Sheldon used the active/passive switch as opposed to the push/pull volume pot he did on ours. We're going to be modifiying ours to that system, it seems to work better, and Sheldon has been incredibly helpful in getting the stuff together for it.

Sadly, I'm so broke I can't even begin to think of getting this bass...if I weren't so po', it wouldn't even be on the wall at the shop, it's my new dream 6 string bass.

4. Great looking bass! Sheldon sure makes some incredible instruments. :D

Geoff

5. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks guys. Zillium, the specs are mahogany body, bubinga top and neck, pau ferro fretbard, FD-1 pickups. I upgraded it to include the Voodoo bridge which is normally not available on the ABII.

6. I was going to go with a fretless Prima, but I am starting to be somewhat swayed toward an ABII. I really like the bubinga on the basses and the bass looks very organic. Here is something I saw:

[​IMG]

Looks a lot like yours.

Geoff

7. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Geoff, that is somewhat similar. I love bubinga. It's nicely figured without being over the top. What kind of bass is that?

8. That bass is a semi-hollow prototype bass that Sheldon built. It seems to be somewhat based on the ABII in that it has the same woods, however the body shape is different and of course the lack of magnetic pickups and the wooden piezo bridge are different.

Geoff

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Lookin' good! Congrats on the new bass.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if i will ever buy a 5 string it will be a Dingwall.

i love how the bass plays and sounds. no match.

11. Daytona:
    Great looking bass, The ABII's have a nice clean look to them. A mahogany body should sustain for days. IMO thats what Dingwall's are known for, playability, clarity, and sustain. The addition of the voodoo bridge should guarentee your notes ring forever. I really like the voodoo bridge, nice touch. Althou i'll tell you, the AB bridge is more than adequate. Bet you can't wait to hear those FD-1s

Geoff:
    yeah that semi hollow prototype looks cool, I'd seen it a while back, very organic is exactly how i would describe it. I love what Sheldon did w/ the bridge, and importantly that little horn w/ the outcurve is a great styling point . Its nice to see Sheldon evoling, yet still keeping true to what works.

frank

12. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    FCM3, I went with the Voodoo bridge for purely aesthetic reasons - it looks so cool!