pic of my new Landing bass under construction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dunamis, Nov 2, 2004.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Jimmy Wilson of Landing Guitars just sent me this pic of my L332 under construction and here it is! I'm pretty psyched about it and I thought TB'ers would like to have peak.

-32" scale length
    -Jimmy selected a gorgeous rosewood fingerboard
    -nicely figured maple neck & headstock
    -strat style body is featherweight swamp ash
    -vintage white finish
    -tortoise pickguard
    -3 custom wound EMG single coil pups w/ 5 way selector
    -18v EMG BTS pre
    -Hipshot type A bridge with string thru
    -Hipshot ultralight tuners
    -will be strung with TI Jazz Flats and set up L-O-W

I can't wait to get this one plugged in! :hyper:
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Around the time I bought my Alembic SC, I was viewing the Landing page every few days trying to decide whether to order an L2 or not. They look great and had a similar spec to what I wanted*, but as I'm not in the US and couldn't play one before I bought it, I was hesitant, and in the end, I bought a couple of other basses locally.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion on it and seeing the pix when it's finished.

*Hard Ash body (clear finish, rear rout, no pg), maple neck, ebony board
  3. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Here's a pic of the peghead. Jimmy picked a nicely figured piece of maple-- I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

I'll post more progress pics as they're received as well as a review when I have the bass.
  4. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    A bass with the body of a Fender Stratocaster guitar, not a bad idea but maybe you should've suggested that they make it with 24 frets. Because that would lengthen the neck a bit more and put the bridge where it should be on a Normal Fender Strat.

I should know, I once put the neck of a Daneletro Longhorn bass on a strat body and I didn't need to move the bridge further back
  5. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Pics/impressions of the final product yet?
  6. Neat. Only wish being that the pickguard should've been uninterupted at the bridge section....yeah, give us some impressions on this beastie.
  7. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Not yet-- we've been trying to get the color just right. White (well, sort of an off-white) is a tough color! I want "vintage white" and it ranges from very yellow to almost pure white.

Jimmy's been great to work with so far. He's sent me two rounds of paint samples (3 variations of the color in each round), so I'm confident it's going to turn out just the shade I want.

The neck is complete, he has all of the hardware, and he's now painting the body, so with a little luck I should have a very nice Christmas present! :hyper:

I should be getting progress shots any day, and will post them.

8. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Here's a pic showing the "vintage white" color that we came up with. The body on the right is a Musicman Jimmy's refinishing. It's the Fender Vintage White color (100%).

Mine is the body on the left. It's painted with a blend that Jimmy and I arrived at. An off-white or cream color, it's got a bit less yellow in it, but doesn't come off as pure white either.

Both have 3 coats on them in this pic.

Soon, he'll begin applying the polyester clear coats. I'll post more pics as things progress.

9. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Things are beginning to take shape! Here's the latest progress pic. I should be receiving this baby in just a week or so! :hyper:

I'll post pics and a review once I have it in hand.

Merry Christmas to all, and Peace be with you,

10. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    More progress-- taking on a nice shine and ready for hardware.