Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pic request...black Fenders (and copies) w/black pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Oct 19, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hi guys,

I've got a black SX p bass that has the usual white pickguard on it right now, but I don't like the way it looks so I want to change it to black. Who out there has this color combo? I'm trying to see whether I will like it with a black pickguard or if I need to look for rear routed basses that have no pickguard. Solid black pgs without the white stripe on the 2nd layer are preferable, since If I change the pickguard I will get solid black, but any ones with black pickguards would be appreciated!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's a nice Sad..

[​IMG]

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's a black-on-black Lull

[​IMG]

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Those look pretty cool, thanks! Except my bass has a rosewoof fb. Any other?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My Jazz:

Attached Files:

6. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Any excuse to post my bass! :)

[​IMG]

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Now that looks cool! Is there even a white stripe on that pg? You can barely tell its even there...exactly the look I'm goin for

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Then don't get a 3-ply like the one pictured. Just single ply black.

9. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I know. I have a place that will duplicate my SX pickguard exactly, and it'll just be solid black the same thickness as a 3 ply B/W/B, but I hadn't seen any liek that on a bass before.

10. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Actually, why not remove the pickguard and fill in the screw holes? Unless you want the pickguard to actually do what it's intended to and protect the finish.

11. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I tried that with my SX Fretless Jazz, and there was exposed pickup routing. :meh:

I myself am partial to tortoise shell on black, but black on black is a nice look, good luck with your personalization.

12. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Yeah I would do that except for the pickup rout thats under there. I'm thinking I might throw my SX P up on eBay and buy an SX P/J because I'd like to have that jazz pickup in the bridge that I can put a SD hot stack in, and I'll probably take my SD Hot for P bass thats in my Washburn and put it in there too. Should make for a nice sounding bass I think. I love the way my SX plays...with a jazz neck and some new pickups it'd be even better!

With a black pickguard on a black bass it should look pretty close to a Fender Jazz Special that I've has GAS for for a while now.

13. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To Quote Godfrey Cambridge from the movie, "Cotton Comes to Harlem" ...

[​IMG]

"Is that Black enough for you?" :cool:

14. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    [​IMG]

15. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    [​IMG]

total black. I think it looks classy

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All righty, then!

[​IMG]

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  18. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Sounds like a cool idea. Good luck! :)

19. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Il tell you what ya need to do Dave. Buy yourself a can of Black Krylon Fusion Spray Paint. It's made for plastic and let me tell you... I have a black SX Jazz and I sprayed my white pickguard and that baby was smoooooookin!! Defiently go for it dude, not to mention its cheaper than buying a whole new pickguard. I now have a White Perloid pickguard on it now and I think it looks ever better.

20. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Here is my 2001 Modulus VJ4. It is rear routed so there is no pickguard.

Attached Files: