1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pic Request: Truck With 8" Lift and 40's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oxblood, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey everyone, im looking for a pic with a truck, preferably a Chevy, with an 8 inch lift and 40 inch tires. I haven't yet figured out if this will clear the height law for vehicles here in Michigan, which is 13 feet and 6 inches I do believe, but I think it will. Im 16 and I almost have my drivers license, my dad also said he was going to buy me my first truck aswell! I was planning on getting a black Chevy diesel, not sure what year or model yet, and puttin' on a lift kit with some 40'' super swampers. Then after that putting some smokestacks on there and then tackling the engine.

But for entertainment purposes... here are some pics of some of my favorite trucks:

Truck07.

LHSshow002.

Joyride.

03_Chevy.

2. Sorry, this will sound hellish, but a 16 yr old who has just passed thier test and is going to be driving something like that? that just scares the hell out of me

3. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    +1:eek:

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A teenager in a Hyundai scares me. A teenager in one of those has parents that need to be slapped.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO

At least he will kill you when he runs you over, instead of injuring you!

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Cool idea for a truck, but....smokestacks? :meh:

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Rich parents...what are you going to do? :meh:

If you get one of those after you get your license, good luck.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    You need at least 10" lift to clear 40's, unless you plan on using cutout fender flares for additional clearance.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    At least when he rams it into a wall he stands a good chance of jumping OVER it. :bag:

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've got two Blazers, a 91 with 9" lift and 38" Swampers, and a 79 with 14" lift and 44" Swampers. Neither truck is taller than 9', so they would probably be legal in Michigan if that's the only thing they're worried about.

Fwiw there is more to it than a lift kit and big tires. You also need to worry about brake line length, driveshaft length and driveline angle, axle strength (you certainly don't want 40's on 1/2 ton axles) and proper gearing to offset the larger tires. Steering geometry is affected, and while some lift kits will come with steering pieces to help correct this, many do not.

Also, the newer trucks with computer contolled transmissions need to have the speedometer re-calibrated to insure the transmission shifts correctly.

Depending what year you pick, the 88 and up Chevy's with IFS are expensive to lift, while the older solid axle trucks are alot cheaper (and easier) to do. If you're dead set on a Diesel, see if you can find a pre 88 ex-military pickup. They come with the 6.2 diesel, TH400 tranny, NP205 transfer case and 1 ton axles, usually with 4.56 gears which would be perfect for 40" tires. With a decent lift kit, that truck would be darn near bulletproof.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I was going to attemp to post a couple pics, but they are to large and I don't know how to resize. I'll leave you with a pic of my plow truck. It's a 79 K20 with a 454, 3/4 ton axles, 10" lift and 36" Buckshot Radial Mudders.

Attached Files:

11. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    While huge lifted trucks are fun, out here in the desert I prefer prerunners. Nothing like tearin through the desert and hitting jumps when your front suspension has 15 inches of free travel.:p

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I never understood those things. What for? Driving over cars in traffic? you will screw up your alignment. Off-roading? most places i go off-roading a single tyre from that truck wont even fit.

13. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.

Southern mud bogs are always fun.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Good point, i did not think about that. It is fun.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here y'go.

[​IMG]

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    [​IMG]

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't go over 38's on my F-250.

-Mike

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    and this!

kifmTrucksLittle_TikesMonster_Truck-resized200.

19. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    insurance8.

(Ok, so not really a "pickup" truck.) :meh:

20. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    LOL, I defiently wont be driving trucks like those. Those trucks have 49 and 53 inch tires and much more then 10 inches of lift. Im guessing it will probably be a little while untill I get all of this stuff too. I got a buddy thats 16, and as soon as he got his license his parents had a lifted ford with 35's all ready for him.