Piccilo bass for octave string for 8/ 12 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tiny Tim, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Can anyone tell me if piccilo bass strings are just long guitar string? Or are they wound with different materials or process. I would like a little bit deeper tone out of the octave strings on a 12 string bass and am wondering if they might work for this.
    Thanks in advance. Tim
  2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I suppose that depends on what you mean by "just long guitar strings". That's pretty much what bass strings are.

Piccolo strings are extremely light-gauged bass strings, meant to be tuned much higher than regular bass (usually an octave higher, but that's not carved in stone). D'Addarios for instance are

G .020
    D .032
    A .042
    E .052

This is roughly the same as the octave strings on an 8- or 12-string bass. If you want deeper octave strings, just get thicker gauges, nickelwounds.

juststrings.com is a good place for strings, and they have several 12-string sets. Also, try 12stringbass.com.
  3. Hey there Tiny Tim- You might give S.I.T. strings for 12-string bass a try. I switched to them on all of my 12's a few months ago. Significantly warmer tone. I had been using .020's for the high-octave G strings but switched to .018's when I went to the SIT's. The EMG pickups on my Hamer can have a nasty edge but the SIT's really smoothed out the top end.

I have a new website devoted to the 12-string bass at www.12stringbass.NET. There is an extensive section there about 12ver strings, including my review of the SIT's and some places where you can get various brands of strings.