Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo Bass Difficulties

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys

I have converted a Yamaha RBX270 to a piccolo bass with the top string being around .30ish.

The E, A, and D strings are fine, sound great, nice tension, no problem.

But I've had problems with the top G breaking - all the time! Mostly when I'm tuning it to the top G. Only once out of about 5 attempts have I been able to properly play piccolo with all four strings, and that wasnt even for long - coupla days.

At the moment I'm having it tuned to D-G-C-F so I dont have to go so high - which works, but the other strings are a bit loose and floppy.

What do you think the problem is? The nut? The string guage?

Help much appreciated!

Kind regards

Mike

2. It has to be the string gauge..

Try a thinner string for the G.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Pretty cool man, can you post some sound clips of that if possible?

As far as the G string breaking all the time, my best advice would be for you to try a lighter guage. Also I can't be sure, but if there's a crappy or really sharp nut it, that may be causing the problem. You might want to take it into a tech and see what he/she has to say about it.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    .030 isn't light enough for a piccolo G. You'll need a .020 or less.

GHS piccolo set is .050, .040, .030, .018

Not too surprisingly, about exactly 1/2 the gauge used for normal tuning! :D

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I gotcha. Cheers.

Actually these strings were given to me by the Bass Centre London so I'm surprised they're unsuitable.

Regards

Mike

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    .030 would make a good C string - perhaps they gave you a tenor set instead? (ADGC) common misconception I think.

7. that makes sense to me, that is what happened to me, and then I detuned it into tenor tuning and noticed the same problem as you...the floppiness......

8. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Would you believe it......I took some advice earlier from a fellow bassist, lowered action and tweaked truss rod to alievate pressure on string.....SNAP.....and once again I'm a three string bassist.

Ah well.

Thanks for the help,

Mike :bawl:

9. sorry to hear that.....but until you get that next set....check the saddle, too..maybe it needs to be filed down.

10. Sounds to me like you are using too heavy a string for that hi tuning. I use either a .020 wound or .018 plain for a G string.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    one of the guitarists I work with suddenly stopped breaking strings at gigs. I asked him what he did to fix the problem. It turns out he bought some special saddles that reduce the friction without changing the sound. I didn't know such a thing was available but it works so well, he doesn't even bother bringing spare guitars to gigs any more. He used to bring 3.

If you're still breaking strings after changing to a lighter guage, you might want to look into it.

12. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for all your help. I'll try a lower guage first then.

God Bless Talkbass

Regards

Mike