Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo bass players can you give me a hand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjclem, Mar 14, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I want to make a fretless one and need some advice. First I want it to be short scale I have heard about 28", is that too small? What scale do you recommend? Is the string spacing standard? What strings would you recommend? That is a start. Thanks .....Tom

2. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Nobody?

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    For a Piccolo, I'd go 30" to 30.5".

4. Well Tom for my 6 string piccolo, I just used a 34" scale bass, didn't have to change anything, string spacing was great. To me if you want short scale get a regular g*$&%r, that's the great thing with the sound and feel of full scale piccolo. Of course that was all based on IMHO. :)
    Good luck,
    Dirk

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey Dirk,

Could you tell me how you have your 6 string strung? I'm considering a few different approaches for possibly converting, and am curious. Thanks.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    thanks for the info I am looking to hear all I can on the subject. Anybody got any good links to learn about them?

7. I built a short-scale fretless 5 string for my(4 1/2 when I started, 6 now & I'm not done)son. The 26" scale & EADGC tuning makes for very low tension, but I want it to be easy to play. It's actually very playable(by me), but you can't really 'dig in'. For a dedicated piccolo for myself I'd probably go 34"- the cool thing about a pic to me is that it's very familiar. I might go narrow on the spacing, for chords.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm using a 32" neck.

9. Hey Basschair,
    I went with my own scale, the tension and tone feel really good with this set:
    B .70
    E .50
    A .32
    D .17
    G .12
    C .09
    That set was purely by what the store had in strings, but I'm pretty happy with it as a standard for me. :)
    The big problem is on the longest 2 strings, if you have a 3x3 headstock the A and D strings need to be extra long.
    Dirk

10. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks for the info!

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Dirk where did you get such odd strings?..t

12. I got them in the single string selection at my local music store.
    It took a little picking through to find what I needed, and they were not by the same manufacturer.
    Dirk

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    It's 30" scale for me, using the top four strings of a six-string set (currently Fodera compression wound, but only because I'm too lazy to order TI Jazz Flats 6-strings sets online, or single TI's) and tuning up to C (like a cello tuned in fourths).