1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piccolo bass? Possible damage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaismyhero, Feb 22, 2008.

1. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    I have a 73 musicmaster shortscale that Im thinking about using as a piccolo bass. What strings would I need to use and would there be any possible damage to the bass if I tried to do this? Thanks

2. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Hi. I use my Steinberger as a piccolo basses. I use D'Addario EXL280 strings (.020, .032, .042 and .052) on it (I use a string adapter since these are standard single ball strings). They work great. You should have no issues with the strings causing damage. The only thing that may pose a problem is if the strings rattle in the nut since your nut is cut for regular strings. The Steiny is perfect for this since it uses a zero fret and no nut. I used to use a J-bass copy and had to fill the nut slots and re-file it a little.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    You might need a new nut, but you could always try shimming it. Try to keep the overall tension approximately the same if possible. That way you won't have as many issues with neck relief.