Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo Bass scale lengths and string gauges ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Apr 9, 2001.

1. I am planning on ordering a 7-string piccolo bass when my 7-string fretless is finished. I have no idea what scale length or string gauges to use. I'm thinking of a 30-32" scale length and whatever gauges would give me a light feel.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    7 string piccolo? Like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just kidding. I have a .018 for my G on my piccolo bass, so you are probably looking at having strings custom made of you want a high C or high F on a seven string piccolo-- if they can even make a string light enough for a high F.

And, personally, I'd keep the 34" scale on a piccolo bass. I just prefer that to the feel of a shorter scale. I tried a Mustang bass with piccolo strings, and didn't like the feel. It can only be described as...floopy.

Good luck!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have recently bought a short scale bass that works either as a Piccolo or as a Tenor bass, depending on what kind of strings you put in it. It has a 30 1/4 inch scale. I plan to use it as a Tenor bass. Not sure what gauges I'll use, but will keep you posted when it arrives (it's in tansit).

Will C.:cool: