Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

piccolo bass ?strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rawdogg360, Jan 3, 2006.

1. rawdogg360

rawdogg360

Dec 31, 2005
    new jersey
    Can I string any bass with piccolo strings?Or only short scale basses..I have an old mosrite bass that would probably be good with piccolo strings but its real short..Any ideas....

2. As far as I know any bass can be strung with picollo strings, though I guess a shorter scale would work better in terms of string tension etc...

Ok, total guess, bring in the experts!

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I use piccolo (.52-.20) on both my MTD 535 and Pedulla PentaBuzz. I also add a .65 or .70 string on the bottom.

Both are full scale basses and the strings work just fine with only minor truss, action and intonation adjustments needed.

If you're going to tune them to standard tuning (EADG) however I think you'll find the tension too loose or waaay to tight (I can get about and octave range out of my pics) That may be a good reason to use a short scale bass if you really want to keep your EADG world intact.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Zon makes a good piccolo set. Drop 'em right onto a 34" bass and have at it.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to Strings, where we have threads about strings, including piccolo.