Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sandman1278, May 1, 2005.

1. Just kinda curious about these things, all i know is that there supposivly tuned up an octave, so then wouldnt that just be the 4 low strings of a guitar? If so what purpose would a piccolo bass serve over a guitar?

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Feels like a bass, sounds some different. Makes your ego swell when people are amazed the guitar solo is coming from that bass? Stuff like that :D, it's cool.

3. If you were playing this wouldnt you need another bass player to play real bass? lol

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It sounds a lot mellow-er too in my experience. :)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're fun to play, I like having one around for miscellaneous playing and it's a great way to use bass playing styles on a guitar-tuned instrument. Also Pic basses are preferred for getting a bass feel on an instrument for midi because it tracks better.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The feel and sound is different than a guitar, due to the longer scale.

7. what scale are these usualy at? I'm assuming somewhere between a standard bass and guitar?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Common to see 30" but there are a lot of converted standard 34" out there like mine.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It varies. There have been a few that were custom built from the ground up as a piccolo, but most are just a standard bass with piccolo strings.

I have seen 30", 30.75", 32", 33.25", 33.75", and 34".

10. what kinda strings would one use with those

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Piccolo bass strings. Ken Smith makes em, LaBella does and a few others.