1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

piccolo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garretibanez, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I own a piccolo bass

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. I do not own a piccolo bass

13 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. I want one or am going to get one

32 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. I do not want one

58 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

I need a 5 string set. I was thinking of just using a normal G and tune it to a be in the piccolo register. or maybe a normal D?

Or does any company make 5 string set of piccolo?

Any help?

2. I'm building one right now for myself, it'll be done mid next week. Five string, bart pups, glockenklang pre, kahler fixed bridge, etc. I just ordered some of the GHS 4 string piccolo sets, and then ordered a couple .65 gauge strings for the low B (also GHS). But I really wish Elixier made piccolo sets.

3. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

Thats awsome dude thank you I want to de fret mine a piccolo fretless five string

Its a Ibanez sr 505

4. Haha, I use an ibanez 905 strung tenor (EADGC) and the one I'm building is loosely based on the shape, with a few modifications. believe it or not, it's actually even thinner in the body.

5. I have several basses & sometimes string one piccolo(haven't lately though), so I don't actually have one ATM- but like them in general. I also had a fretless 7 but couldn't get the high F to sound like I wanted it to; I'm curious as to how well piccolo tuning will work fretless.

6. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    Isn't a piccolo bass sort of contradicting itself?

Most "Piccolo _____" instruments are a higher range version, but wouldn't a high range bass just be a guitar?

7. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I had a bass a few years back that I used to 'explored' the realm of piccolo bass so to speak... I got a set of piccolo bass strings off that www.juststrings.com but have not been there recently.

So I strung up a rarely used 32 scale bass with e a d g piccolo strings and it was interesting. They felt like thin tight bass strings... aka guitar strings strung on a bass. The scale makes the sound different than the guitar as well as the sound coming from bass pickups and not guitar pickups. A few weeks with it like that and I had heard/played enough.

If I ever did it again I would use a short scale bass to keep the tension a little more comfortable otherwise I would end up down tuning the strings.

I just noticed these yesterday. Having one of these strung as a piccolo 'bass' would be my recomendation. Not only that they come in both maple or rosewood fingerboard and for $10 more you get the starter package with a practice amp.

Maple neck, solid alder body, 30 inch scale
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb5734car.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb5734bk.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57lpbshort.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57342ts.html

and some strings
    http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-p3045.html
    http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-p3045.html
    http://www.juststrings.com/ksb-aa-bbcp.html

I think the GHS strings were the ones I tried in 2002. No complaints. Also if you wanted a 5 string set of piccolo strings you could just use the next gauge up from the piccolo e string.

*Mr mrtn400 bass uses metal strings and have many other characterisics of a guitar as it should since it is modeled closely after a guitar, the lighter the strings become and the shorter the neck becomes the closer it gets to guitar. But yes the piccolo bass is commonly tuned to the same pitch as a guitars E A D G strings. But the strings are so tight you can go to all kinds of crazy tunings with it. Probably best to play it through a guitar amp which is something I didn't have when I tried it. *

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Marleaux make a very nice one , and so does lefay.
    Very worth checking out!!

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Piccolo basses always seemed quite pointless to me.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    IME, not very well. Part of what gives that fretless "mwah" is the mass of the string. Using piccolo strings without frets gave me a dead sound with no sustain or tone on the higher strings.

To each his own, but I have found it to be great for working out chord changes, song ideas, improv jazz lines and many other things...YMMV

11. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    So can you just string any bass with piccolo strings? Do you have to change the pickups? Because I might consider trying it out.

12. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I have piccolo strings on a bass now but I tune it C F Bb Eb. IMO this makes it much more comfortable to play and gives it a fuller sound than when it is tuned an octave above standard tuning.

They're also great for altered tunings.

BTW- if you want to hear piccolo strings on a fretless, check out any of Michael Manring's songs that he plays on the Hyperbass- tons of mwah there.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I had one for a short time that I made, it was fretless and had a buzz bridge like a sitar, it was fun but I kept tuning it lower and lower intill it was a normal bass again:D

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Ask Jeff Schmidt.:D

15. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

so piccolo fretless will it work ya or na

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    There are at least 2 ways to string a piccolo bass ... one is EADG octave strings ... one is ADGC like the top 4 strings of a 6 string bass.

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Ya, it'll work just fine.
    That is Tenor Bass, not Picallo.

18. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I always thought Piccolo bass was the bottom 4 strings of a regular guitar? The differences in tonality is that the strings are a longer scale 30" to 34". I seem to remember that Stanley Clarke plays piccolo and that is how he tunes it. The octave strings from an 8 string set would work for piccolo. (It's an oxymoron : Piccolo Bass = Jumbo Shrimp) :)

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Kinda yeah, its the same tuning as the bottom four strings of a guitar, but usually slightly heavier guages.

20. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

yeah thanks guys i will try fretted and if i dont like it ill de fret it

It has a really weak neck it wont work with heavy strings thats why i gotta use piccolo

Is that gonna be fine or are piccolo really high tension strings