Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Antipop, Oct 26, 2002.

1. I am curious to what a piccolo bass is.
    What is the different sound and tone.
    tell me what you know, please.

2. maybe a lttle bump to this thread might help it out

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    it's a midget bass tuned up an octave.

why not just play a guitar?

4. It's not a midget bass.. It's like any regular bass guitar tuned an octave higher.

Mainly because of string spacing and scale lenght, I think.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i stand corrected.

according to bass player, nov. 2001 (with deleo on cover), "..some piccolo basses have 30" to 32", a standard 34" -scale works fine."

6. Tone is everything to a bass, not so much to a guitar. Listen to Faraquet or Don Caballero. Both of these bands incorporate the piccolo bass into their sound and it really is unique. Hell, didnt Stanley Clarke play an alembic piccolo?

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A piccolo bass is any electric bass with strings one octave higher. So a 4 string piccolo bass would be tuned EADG, the same pitch and octave as the 4 lowest strings of a guitar.

The reason to do a piccolo bass is the different sound. The super long scale length and bass pickups will make it sounds totally different.

Stanley Clarke, Brian Bloomberg, and Foley (played with Miles Davis) are the some that I know of. A few piccolo players, so to be able to play piccolo exclusively, have another "regular" bass player in their band with them to play the usual bass parts.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So,
    1) Will any bass work?
    2) Do you put on different strings? Gauges?

9. Do they come in 6?

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you get a 6 string bass, and put on piccolo bass strings, it will come in 6 :D

Yes, pretty much any basswill work.

Extra Light piccolo bass string gauges are
    012-016-022-030

Light piccolo bass string gauges are
    030-045-065-080

those are from La Bella. I know some other companies make them, but not off the top of my head.

11. any suggestion of type of pickups? p, j, p/j hummies?

12. Where can you get a set of Piccolo strings?

I was thinking of doing something different with my Musicmaster, and was leaning toward an ADGC stringing, but now the picolo idea sounds a lot better.

13. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I dunno about pickup configurations. they would sound different for weach piccolo, just as they do for each bass. To each his own.

La Bella sells piccolo strings. My previous post shows examples of their gauges.

14. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The first set of gauges you quoted will work as piccolo strings (EADG, octave up), the second set however is for tenor bass (ADGC) tuning.

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I know GHS makes some.

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh sorry.. I was just going off of waht the La Bella website told me :)