Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

piccolo bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Jul 4, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what exactly is a piccolo bass?
    ive seen them an such but haven't played one..

what do you need to do to change a standard bass over to piccolo..

thanks
    steve

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    aww...now it makes since...
    any body use theses?
    bands that hae them?

thanks
    steve

3. Although really a bass, it's kinda like a 4 string guitar that happens to look like a bass. Not really worth it, although Stanley Clarke seems to like them, and IMO makes the instrument worth keeping around

4. 34" is fine with me, i over shoot frets on guitar all the time anyhow..

5. Most fender guitars are 25" and all gibsons are 24"...not that it's really relevent to this thread...so, nevermind:D ...lol

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I converted one of my Soundgear basses to a Piccolo for a while, but it's back to a standard bass. Was fun, just didn't have much use for it with the metal that I play.

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I play piccolo bass, on a converted Yammy RBX270. It sounds great, such a sexy jazz tone. It's a nice recording tool.

One problem I've encountered, however, is that my top string keeps breaking when I tune to G. Would a thicker guage string stop this? ie. 30? I'm using .20 I think. It's a 34 scale bass if that helps. It's starting to bug me.

Regards

LA

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No. You want a thinner string. A .030 will break immediately.

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Ok, thanks for the advice. But I cant actually find a thinner string than .20 round here, even the Bass Centre London cant help me out.

Kind regards

LA

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    LaBella makes a piccolo set that goes from .030 down to .012. :eek: I guess that would be tuned two octaves higher? I don't know. Here's the url: http://store.yahoo.com/juststrings/lab-m10.html

Juststrings.com will deliver to your door, too.