Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo basses, give a listen if you can

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
  2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's pretty cool!

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    No friggin' kidding... all those grooves were sick :bassist: ! Seriously, I dig that stuff a lot. What type of piccolo and regular basses are you playing. Man, I can't say enough good things. I'm going to save that clip!!! I hope to someday attain your level of proficiency as well :help:

Oh, yes, the question... I actually don't have (or have the $$$ for) a piccolo right now but I'm dying to get one. I do most of my stuff on keys/guitar/bass.

4. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Very nice!!

what was the "low" bass you we're using?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nicely done! (this should be in Recordings I think)

I'm flirting with the idea of making my P/J Ibanez Destroyer a Piccolo... it's a 32" scale 4 string and gets almost none of my playing time.

I've always loved Stanley's flights of fancy on his :bassist:

6. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Thanks guys. I'm not sure what "low bass" you mean, but I used a variety of stuff for this track. The high stuff (either blowing or the acoustic-like stuff) is all the same piccolo. I'll post a pic later if anyone wants to see it. As for the bass parts, the first segment was a regular ol' P bass with old flats. The second segment was a MM stingray I used to have. The jazzy segment (actually an Oliver Nelson song called "Butch and Butch") used a Godin semi-hollow I also used to have (I've been through a lot of basses, as my wallet gently weeps), the new-agey thing used the piccolo for lead and rhythm, and the "bass" part was actually a synth (a Roland JV-1080 I think), and the last segment was the 'Ray again.

Might post a few more tracks kinda like this (i.e., "bass feature" tracks); went though a period a few years back when I felt like doing a couple things like that just for fun. Nothing serious, just experimentation really, but sure is fun.

7. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yeah, I figured that might have been best, but I got the impression that was for professionally released stuff, not for me just fu*king around.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bitchen. TOO BITCHEN!

9. Very cool, man!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well, tell us more about the basses (and pictures :bassist: ) and it fits here :D

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    those licks are the illest! I'm decided, I'm buying a set of piccolo strings :p

12. Yeah that sealed it up. My MIJ P is getting piccoloed out. Should be excellent. Your stuff is truly amazing. Post it all up in the recording forum.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Is that that Marcus Willett dude from Missouri??? Is he stealin' my stuff and claiming it's his again????

:scowl:

...yo dude, how you been.

;)

Y'all, I've got a CD floatin' 'round my collection from about 7-8 years ago, and he was a SICK bastid even then....he's the real deal.

:bassist:

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    whats this piccolo bass thing about??

EDIT: i know bout the search button, but this was easier. :D

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Really amazing, do post pics, and how many strings r on it?

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  17. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    You guys are making me blush. It started life actually as a MIM Stu Hamm Urge Bass. Through various deals with a buddy of mine, I ended up with the body and the neck. I tried putting 5 strings on that narrow neck, but it was just too tight (the whole thing with me for the piccolo versus just getting a guitar was that I wanted an instrument with the same layout notewise so I could just play and not have to wonder what note I'm playing, so it has 5 strings like most of my other basses, just up one octave).

I ended up having Karl Hoyt custom build me a neck that was slightly wider and 31" scale. Worked out pretty good, Karl did a great job and the price was a steal. It's turned into primarily a writing tool, but I am starting work on an album with a keyboardist friend of mine that hopefully will be done by the end of the year (I gotta work around my show schedule, so it's gonna take a lot longer than I want), that should feature it pretty nicely I think.

Right now, I just use the "rhythm" pickup, a Bill Lawrence model. I also have the V-Bass pickup on there (it's not on the sound clip tho, that was a few years back), and I'm thinking of setting it up for MIDI. I use the V-Bass everyday at work tho and love the zero latency aspect of it.

Oh, also string gauges. I am still experimenting, but right now it's .016, .022, .030, .042, .056.

P.S. Hey Gard! Long time...hope you're doing well. I gotta do a better job of keeping in touch...

18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I really like that recording, Marcus!

19. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I really dig it!!!!!
    All of it.

20. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Nice track!

I don't use my piccolo (actually I call mine a "cellobass", which I'll explain below) for writing, really...the plan is to use it somewhere between the regular bass and the guitars.

Now as for the "cello" thing. What I did was to have Warwick custom make me a Corvette Proline with a 30" scale, then take the top four strings of a six-string set (was supposed to be TI Jazz Flats, but I've been having trouble finding a six string set [yes, I know I should get them online, but I'm too busy buying basses online to look for strings!], so it's ended up with Fodera compression wound strings on it for the time being), and tune it up to C-F-Bb-Eb, which is cello range (if a cello were tuned in fourths instead of fifths). That keeps it in a range not quite like a baritone guitar.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to find another bassist to join the band so I can step out with the "cellobass". I guess I need to make more friends!

[​IMG]