piccolo string gauge for midi

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Chamuco, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Chamuco

Jun 9, 2004
    I'm about to dive into the midi world with a piccolo bass, and was wondering if y'all might know whether lighter gauge piccolo strings might make for better tracking. I noticed that piccolo strings come thin (.020 - .050) and less thin (.030 -.080), though both gauges are tuned to the same notes. I'll be using a Roland GI-20 with the GK-2B pickup on a shortscale bass (30-inch) that I'll change the nut on to make it into a piccolo. I'd prefer the thicker strings, but am afraid I'll kill the latency gains I hope to get out of the piccolo set-up.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    the thickness of the strings shouldn't have any influence in and of itself, as there are two main factors in latency - the pitch of the note, and therefor the length of time it takes for one complete cycle to take place to be read by the convertor (or with the Axon and Yamaha systems, half a cycle). the other factor is the amount of unreadable noise on the front end of the note, and this is more a factor of right hand technique and set up than anything else. Things that are unreadable include the sound of your finger scraping over the string, fretbuzz, any thudding percussive sounds etc...

so clean technique is going to be the deciding factor so long as the strings are tuned to the same pitch...

3. Chamuco

Jun 9, 2004
    that makes sense.