1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Piccolo with a wound G string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bacid, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Are La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels the only stainless roundwound piccolo strings with a wound G string? I love stainless steel roundwounds and really want to get a piccolo set with a wound G. All the sets i've found other than the La Bella's are nickels with a plain G. I really love my D'addario Prosteels but want to go piccolo. How do La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels sound in general?

2. I dont know if they have wound g strings. It's pretty much guitar strings but longer scale depending on what guage. If you do find a set PM me.

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Same here. The plain G messes me up sometimes.

4. I was poking about in the garage last night & came acrosss a single Ernie Ball .20 gauge. It's got a smaller-than-usual-for-bass ball end; I believe it's intended for Fender Bass VI or baritone guitars. It came w/a set of strings I used to string a little 25" scale fretless 5 I'm doing for my 6-yr-old son. I think it's nickel; I'll check in a few(it's COLD out there).

5. Juststrings.com has La Bella Hard Rockin' Steel Piccolo strings for $21.26. The guages are:

1st- roundwound stainless .030
    2nd- roundwound stainless .045
    3rd- roundwound stainless .065
    4th- roundwound stainless .080

Those are the only stainless steel piccolo strings I could find with a wound 1st string, I think I'm gonna have to pick them up. I'm pretty sure that .080 will not go into the same slot as my .105 without flopping around. Do you know where i could find a nut that those strings will fit cozily into?

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Zero-fret ;D

7. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    bumping this....anyone know where to find a wound g piccolo set? tried looking but almost all are plain g's and the labellas are WAY too thick