Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piccolo????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 2, 2001.

1. What are these? If you can, post a picture so I could see one, I have no clue!

2. Les Claypool's old main 4 string was a Carl Thompson Piccolo that he tuned like a normal bass.

A piccolo is essentially a bass that is tuned EADG, but an octave higher, so that it is in the same range as a guitar. They are typically longer scale than a guitar (30-32" seems common) and use special gauges of bass strings.

find out more at http://www.ctbasses.com

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Also,Joey DeMaio's "Black Arrows" bass solo is played on piccolo...you can find it in Manowar's "Hail to England" album.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Carl Thompson made the first piccolo bass for Stanley Clarke which he used on School Days in 1976. The first one was a 34" scale, but later ones were 32" scale EADG up an octave.

I think he's more associated with the "tenor" bass, though, which is like the top 2/3 of a 6-string bass - ADGC.

There are quite a few pics of Stanley playing the Alembic tenor bass and there is a nice pic of this in the "Bass Book" on page 40, but I haven't seen a pic of the piccolo bass.