Pick a 1x12" cab to match an Eden WTX264?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy114, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    Looking at either the Eden EX112 (duh) or the Acoustic BN112 ... to use with an Eden WTX264 ...
    • Eden EX112: Front bass port, Eden brand match, smaller
    • Acoustic BN112: Neo, has tweeter, $40 less
    • Both weigh about 30 lbs ...
    Looking at 8 ohms so I can eventually add a second cab. Thoughts (and alternatives) welcome, thx!

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I just went 1x12 shopping. When my rig was much bigger, it was all Eden.
    I tried Mesa, Eden, Bergantino, and GK. i was of course, really checking out bottom end. Mesa failed, too small a cabinet. Bergantino was great but over $1000. Price/performance, I bought the GK.
    The Eden did well, but I thought the GK edged it out in the lowest frequencies.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Acme Full Range. :)

4. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Well depends.I used this in a small bar ,holds about 100. It filled the room with magical sound.
    Really.I let someone else use my rig for a couple of tunes,
    and there was no place in that room that it didn't sound distinct and clear.
    If you are playing a larger place ,then you'll need another cab.Any bigger you'll have to get a larger rig.

5. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    Thx for the comments. I located an Eden EX112 in "excellent" condition for $185 shipped. Will update with how it all works out.

chaosMK and Al Kraft like this.
  6. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    I’ve been an Eden fan for almost 10 years now. Looking for a lot of low end out of one 12 is going to be a bit of a struggle, unless you are playing at realitively lower volumes. My experience with Eden is they tend to get brighter the more they are pushed.

Finding a 1-12 enclosure that can handle 300 Watts of bass for $185 is a steal.

srayb likes this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    As long as you keep your expectations reasonable for a single 12 in a very compact cab, the Eden EX112 is a bargain and quite nice. The other bargain 112 which is a bit more full range and very impressive is the GK NEO 112 II.

SJan3 likes this.
  8. Well, any updates/input? how has the Eden fared so far?
    I'm on the fence between getting one of these available near me to use for smaller occasions, upright reinforcement, etc. and keeping my existing 212 avatar,
    OR selling the avatar and getting a pair of 112's that might be a little more capable than the Eden and give me both that smaller gig flexibility and the bigger stage ability.
    The super compact Eden is quite appealing. going to even a slightly larger 112 almost starts to negate the compact concept.
    sorry for the ramble...

9. Update, just bought one for $160 used. Can't go wrong for that deal. Dig it

Al Kraft likes this.
  10. MortenAP

MortenAP

Dec 15, 2017
    Hi
    I own a TC Electronic BH250 head and I am searching for speaker(s) for a lightweight rig. Eden EX112 looks both affordable and lightweight (14 kg/30 lbs) and they come in both 4 and 8 ohms.

If it should be usable for a small gig (Café or small private party like 50 persons) in a pop/rock band with a drummer I am in doubt whether one speaker would be enough and a "stepwise" investment would be nice....

With the head demanding min 4 ohms and delivering 250 w (in 4 ohm) I see these options:
    1. One 4 ohm - 250 w output
    2. One 8 ohm - 125 w output (I guess?)
    3. Two 8 ohm in parallel (=4 ohm) - 250 w output
    4. Two 4 ohm in series (=8 ohm) - 125 w output
    5. One 4 ohm + one 8 ohm in parallel (=2.7 ohm) - NO GOOD
    (Since the speaker only holds one plug I am aware that I will have to fix the connections myself)

As I am right now playing in a trio with electronic drums perhaps option 2 would be the best start even though I will only get 125 w? Then step 3 with 250 w and double speaker area could follow later if the need for more volume should show up...

What would you do?

11. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Do you have a cab that you're playing now? If so, how well is it working? That might give you some guidance as to how one or two of the Eden 12s would work for you. I didn't see an efficiency/sensitivity spec for the cab (EX112 | EDEN Amplification), which is something I'd look at with a lower-powered head.

If I was certain that I could get by with a single cab and wouldn't want another, I would go 4 Ohms. If not, 8. I would not wire two, 4 Ohm cabs in series with that head -- you'll be gaining surface area but losing power vs. the single 4 Ohm cab, and each cab will only see between 60 and 80 Watts.

I've not played the BH250 or the EX112, but I'd think a good twelve should be able to cover the scenarios you mention if adequately powered.

If it were me and I was limited to that head and those cabs, without knowing more, I would opt for an 8 Ohm cab, so that I'd have the option of adding a second.

When you say the "speaker only holds one plug" (didn't see a back photo of the cab on the site) do you mean that you can't daisy chain them together? That seems unlikely. If you're referring to the speaker output of the BH250, then, yeah, you'll have to plug one cab into the head, and then run a cable from that cab to the other. (Wasn't sure what you meant by "fix" either.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  12. Neither your current head nor that cabinet choice are wired for expansion as the amp only has one speaker ouput and the cab one speaker input.
    Get one 4 ohm and call it your micro rig and push it till you reach its limits. If you find you need more, then you can upgrade your head and get a second 4 ohm cab.
    Unless your willin and able to modify the cab inputs and wiring, in which case get an 8 ohm that you can then mod with a parallel jack then get a second 8 ohm later.
    Personally, if you’re attached to the TC head, I would look for a different cab, maybe the Hartke Hydrive that is 4/8 o switchable, probably a higher volume output capacity with only a slightly larger footprint

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    MortenAP likes this.
  13. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Okay, didn't realize that the cab only had one plug -- if offered in 8 Ohms, that seems short-sighted. If it can be modified without much trouble to have a second plug, that might make sense. Otherwise, OP, if you have a second, larger rig or if you think that you won't need or want this rig to do more than the single 12 will accomplish, the 4 Ohm cab might make sense, particularly given the somewhat modest power rating of the head.

You might find this thread, from the Eden forum, to be of interest -- goes into the 4 vs. 8 Ohms thing re. other "250 Watt-ballpark" heads (Eden ETX-264 and Markbass Blackline 250) for use with the EX 112, specifically: Eden EX112 @4ohms

14. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Canada
    I used to own an Eden EX112 (4-ohm version). Using a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 300W Head. It was good up to a point. For a trio (drums bass guitar) it was fine, but with a 2nd guitar and/or keys I found it started to get lost a bit. It sort of hit a ceiling and could not go over that. Near its limit I found the low end went away and it put out a more mid-range tone.

In its favour it is real small, seems well-built (strong) and sounds great in smaller ensembles. And it’s pretty inexpensive.

Hope that helps!

15. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Did you feel that the Shuttle 3.0 was nearing its limits then, too, or just the cab?

16. MortenAP

MortenAP

Dec 15, 2017
    Thanks for pointing at the Harthe Hydrive with 4/8 ohs switching - I did not now such a thing existed! They are still lightweight. Price is 50% up but you also get more features like controlling the tweeter with High Frequency Attenuation On/-6 dB/Off - but most important the flexibility with the 4/8 ohm switching. I have seen some reviews on youtube at they sound nice I think.

17. MortenAP

MortenAP

Dec 15, 2017
    Thanks for pointing to the almost exact question on the Eden forum - but I think I may go for a Hartke Hydrive as suggested by Skerrvydog

18. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm not familiar with that cab, either -- I was going to say that the same considerations would apply re. 4 Ohms vs. 8, but I missed the part about it being 4/8 Ohms switchable, the first time. If you're going to stay with the BH250, that could be a handy feature.

19. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Canada
    No, I used the same head with my Genz-Benz 1x8” 8-ohm cab with 5-piece band and it was actually fine. Other times I used the head with a Traynor 1510 (4-ohm) live and it had plenty left to spare.

SJan3 likes this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    These Eden EX110/112 cabs are light duty, IMHO. I had the 110 version and it was a fun little unit. However, it's use was limited. It was fine with a Jazz trio or acoustic band but not much more. I'm sure the 112 will give more, but not much more. Certainly won't compete with GK112 mentioned above.

Al Kraft likes this.