Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick a 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mole, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Fender Standard P-Bass Special V

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Ibanez BTB405QM

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Ibanez SR305DX

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Ibanez EDB605

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Maverick S-5

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Peavey Fury 5

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. Peavey C5 Thru Neck

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. Vintage V950B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yamaha BBG5S

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. Yamaha BBG5A

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. I've been looking for 5-string basses under £500 and have come up with quite a list. Which one would you recommend, bearing in mind I play mostly hard rock and metal? It should be nice to look at and hard wearing, and produce a nice tone of course :)
    Oh yeah, I don't want a floppy B string :D

2. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Washburn RB 2502

3. Under £500? :)

4. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Oops, I missed that;) (I got mine for $650-something)

5. That's not a bad price, second hand?

6. Save up money and geta RB5;)

7. I looked at the RB5 on their website, and I have to say it is very nice... maybe in a few months time :D

8. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    I got Yamaha BBG5 S and after little adjustments, it has started to work&sound pretty fine. Feels like good bass for first 5-stringer, and it only cost 450 euros for me.
    Still, its pretty heavy though, so as soon as possible I´m gonna try to make a trade between it and Warwick.
    But after all it´s a good bass:cool: .

9. tight B = ibanez BTB...

10. I haven't played most of the others listed, but I really like my BTB405. Only paid US$369.00 for it on a clearance sale (discontinued color).

11. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    I have a SR305DX.For the money ($340)it is a competent bass.The phat e.q. does give me a little broader range of sound and when playing up on the neck it is quite warm.The neck is a bit narrow but I overcame that quickly.

12. Anymore comments on any of these basses?

13. I have a bbg5s, and It's really a nice bass. The B string is a little floppy, but it helped a lot to use a .130 b string. It's got the best active pre-amp I have ever seen in a low cost bass, and you can pick them up for as low as $200 on ebay all the time. What else could you want?

:cool:

14. Ello' everyone. Haven’t posted in a while, I’ve been so busy lately!

Thought I'd bump this because I'm thinking of getting a 5-string for Christmas. So far it looks like the Peavey C5 is in the lead, but I have seen another bass that could get my money. It's the Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard, I've seen nothing but positive reviews and it seems extremely good, considering the price (£350).

Has anyone played one of these? I would really like to know what the string spacing is like, how floppy the B string is, etc.

They look very nice, here's a pic in case anyone hasn't seen one yet (I wouldn't go for red though):

[​IMG]

I'm still open for suggestions on any other basses under £500, though… so keep them coming :)

15. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Hey :D

I have a Ibanez BTB... really really like it - especially for the price.

But try a few of the listed ones and see which one you prefer. Best way to do it really...

DC :)

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I didn't vote on your current list. I did this a while back, my band plays hardish rock. I ended up saving up another £165 (on top of your £500) and bought a Spector REX2000/5. 35" scale EMG Hz pickups and EMG actice pre-amp. 5 string neck thru!!!

It's absolutely lovely - I opted for the Holoflash finish and am still finding colours! If you can't go the extra go for what some others recommend (although from your list, I'd probably go for the Fender!)

But if you can go the extra (or negotiate your dealer down to somewhere in the middle, I doubt you'll be disappointed! Only one thing I'll say about them that is a pain, there is a bit a neck dive! I'm used to it!!!!:)

17. I really wish I could try them all out, but I'm a bit limited for music shops around here... well, very limited :(
    Guess I gotta plan a trip to London sometime soon :)

18. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    yeah - 'informative' trips to music shops are great fun... hehehe ;)

DC :)

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another vote for the Fender RB5. I play mine as often as I play my Lull, Warwick, Modulus, or MTD USA.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used RB5 indeed.