Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shearstown, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Hello. I've got about an $800 budget (CDN) and I was wonderng if you guys could help me find a suitable bass. I play rock in a band where I kinda sit back and do my thing with the occaisonal shining moment. I like the lines that I do that go all over the neck. But when I'm home i love to play solo stuff. Slapping, tapping, harmonics. I'm a BIG fan of coming up with wacky chord combinations and bass licks. I've actually combined a few techniques to come up with my own style (though it's probably been done before I just haven't heard it.) so I was wondering what bas could possibly do all the things I'm looking for. Any help is good help.

Thanks,

Evan (Shearstown) Mercer

2. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I'm thinking bout a fender jazz mim. Will it be able to do what I'm looking for.

3. A Fender would be a great instrument! I'd also look in the used market for a Lakland or MM. You should be able to find a nice instrument for $800.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Keep in mind that $800 Canadian is aboot $680 US dollars. That's a bit below used Lakland or MM (usually). I would say that the 60's Fender, or a used American Fender would do well. That, or a really good deal on a Marcus Miller jazz bass. The Geddy Lee jazz is in that range, too.

So, for your price range you can step up from a Mexican jazz bass to something a bit nicer. (Though the 60's jazz bass is MIM, it's supposed to be really nice. Or so I've been told.)

5. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Yeah I'm heading in the direction of a Fender. Anything I should get with it to upgrade?

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Depends which model you choose. Are you buying new or used? If you go made in mexico, you should really sit down and play a few ( Jazz or P) and make sure there are no dead spots on the neck and that you like it. Mexican made Fenders are decent but can be hit or miss in the quality control department. I picked up a made in mexico jazz bass , threw in some Fender USA pickups and slapped on a Badass bridge and it sounds great.

I wouldn't limit myself to Fenders though. You should check out the Yamaha BB series basses, Spector Q4 ( now discontinued but you can still find them) and some of the Ibanez models, all of which can be bought new within your price range. There are many other manufacturers out there.
    Bottom line I think is check the reviews and play as many as you can until you find the one best suited for you in terms of sound and playability. :eyebrow:

7. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Well I'll definitely be getting a jazz if it's a Fender. I'm looking for a new hopefully but I'm keeping my options open as far as what I get. Going into the "city" on Tuesday, gonna try out some basses there see what I like.

8. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    If you're going with fender, definately try out the geddy and mm sigs, as well as some used mia jazzes.