1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick a Driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by newbold, Mar 22, 2009.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Gonna build 2 DIY 1x10's

What sounds awesome, what sounds great, and what's a waste of time?

Neo preferred, ceramic if it's that much better.

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Consider an Eden driver. they can be ordered through Long & Mcquade. I have a spare one in case I ever blow a speaker. They sound fantastic.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

It's more about the cabinet physics and design than anything else.

It's almost engineered backwards from the specs.

Can't tell you how many cabinets I've bought with good drivers that were sold because the bonehead didn't do his homework the spec sheet told him about.

I'm a fan of JBLS, EVs, and Peavey -- much of this is taste.

I own about 10 cabinets.. they all sound different (to me.. the average listener can't tell or care the difference).

Do you have a local speaker vendor who can work with you (if they sell guitars, PAs and cabinets they are not a speaker place).

Hope to help.

Tim

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the 'find a speaker vendor' is exactly what I needed to hear.

I definitely like to look into gear, so specific suggestions are what I initially wanted (like an eden driver for example) but that's bang on with what I was thinking (buy local)

5. Check out the Eminence web site. There are designs there that you could copy. Whatever speaker you pick, the enclosure has to match the driver for optimum results.

Paul

6. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I really like the Eminence CA2010 Neo's. I put a pair in my GK 2x10 tiltback combo and they sound great. Good, tight lows with plenty of high end for my taste. What Bassman Paul said about the enclosure matching the driver is right on! Make sure your enclosure is vented the way the speaker requests and has enough space in it.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    It's probably going to be be a Fitzmaurice. DeltaliteII 2010's recommended.

I wonder what else would work.

8. Hi.

+10

Why?

Tried and approved is always better than just a wild guess. Even if it's an educated wild guess ;).

Regards
    Sam

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Eminence BASSLITE (150 watts RMS, sound clips are on the page)?

or Eminence DELTALITE® II 2510 (250 watts RMS, downloadable cab plans are on the page)?

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hey! Eminence is what *Traynor (etc, etc, etc.) often uses!

*Available at L & M. :D