Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick a head....any head....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikgag, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    So I'm gonna be in the market for a used head soon and here's my criteria:

1) Loud
    2) Needs to be able to get "SVT-ish" without actually being an Ampeg

My choices so far are:

Yorkville XS400
    Ashdown Mag 300/400
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200

I know most of these amps can to the Modern SS/hi-fi thing, but that's not what I want. I need a SS amp that can be dialed in/eq'd to be warm/meaty/gritty. I played a B2R and loved the tone, but it was kinda weak and crapped out on me during a set. I'd love to just get a SVT 3 Pro, but I think it's out of my budget range. I'm leaning towards the XS400, but I'm doubting I'll ever see a used one anytime soon. How close can any of these heads get "SVT-ish"?

:bag:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

1: If your looking at a Yorkie, look at the 800, not 400.

2: Mag 300/400 has good tone, but is not extremly loud in a live setting.

3: The Kustom is prob the best choice out of these (or possible a GK1001RBII). The Kustom sound way more SVTish than the GK. There is a guy selling a bunch of the Kustom's on Ebay right now for $499 SHIPPED!

Good luck!

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'd plug for Ashdown MAG.........although it's the raneg that I don't own (I have an ABM 500 EVO head and also an Electric Blue 130 combo).

Not sure how warm you can get the MAG.....but I know you can warm up the ABM (has a valve in the pre).

If as Quadzilla says the MAG 300/400 ain't too loud live, there is always the MAG600 just out (although, I have used an ABM 300 through an Ampeg 8x10 which got the ol' trousers flappin') :bassist:

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Seeing how the first thing you mention criteria-wise is loud, I'll suggest the obvious........

Kustom GrooveBass.

1200 watts of LOUD, with a frightening array of tonal complexities for practically ANY style of music...warm, tube-ish, Mesa-like, gritty, dirty, fat, can all be had with this little monster and I know about a store that sells 'em for $469 new-in-box, shipped.

I love mine and so do MANY TB'ers :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I suggest Ashdown MAG600R.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hmmm, for the same money, 600 watts or 1200 watts (plus like GSP said, you can get lots of tones out of the Groove Bass). In my book, it's no contest....

7. the kustom just seems like a no brainer... 1200 watts... nice tone.. good reviews... why not!?

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What's wrong with a used SVT-ii (non pro)?

9. Definatly a good choice :D

Go second hand and get an SVT, its the only way your going to get a true SVT sound :)

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Your overlooking a couple heads.

1) Used SVT-II
    2) Traynor YBA200

Both would reasonably be in your price range.

If your gonna get one of your 3 suggestions... get the Kustom, simply because of the power it offers. If your not getting the tone you want, pick up a Sansamp BDDI, and it'll warm it up a bit.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1 on the Traynor YBA-200. Its all tube; if you need something more portable (though the Traynor is pretty light for a tube head) I'd suggest the MAG for a warm, gritty sound. As for wattage, all of these heads are going to sound approximately the same volume when cranked, even though the wattages on paper may seem like no contest.