Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick a preamp for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Akito, Apr 24, 2005.

Which preamp would you pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2005.
  1. Aguilar DB 680

29.4%
  2. Ashdown RPM-1

17.6%
  3. Read Purity

17.6%
  4. Kern IP-777

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Avalon U5

20.6%
  6. Other (please elaborate!)

14.7%
  1. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I'm building a pre/power rack and I have access to a few solid state power amps to try out, so that's not going to be as much of an issue as the pre. I haven't played an Aguilar, but they have a very good rep. I have a serious desire to try the Ashdown RPM-1, but they seem a bit harder to come by.
    Feel free to toss in your suggestions on a pre not listed here.
    I play mostly rock with some funk, dance and the occasional jazz. I really would like a pre that also records very well, and that would sound good with my modest computer studio. BTW my cabs are currently a Schroeder 1210 and an Accugroove Tri 210L, if that makes any difference to anyone in their suggestions.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I voted for the Purity.

It is a very versatile preamp.

The 680 or 659 are also very good.

The U5 is up there as well, but not as versatile as the aforementioned ones.

I love the sound of my Demeter VTBP-201S as well.
    It is not as versatile as the Purity and 680, but it has it's own unique virtues, esp. with better tubes.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Where's the Navigator?

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Ever try a GK? Will work for all the settings you listed.

Mine goes from Warm to Hi-Fi to Old-School to Sterile. And I just got the thing yesterday.

Maybe a Sansamp RBI will work for you? I (and many others here) love the BDDI, the stomp-box version of the RBI without a mid control.

The Sansamp does a tube-like tone well enough, but won't do typical "Solid State" in my limited experience. It definately has its own tonal characteristics that you may like.

5. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I wanted to limit the poll to the premps I am most interested in, but suggestions like the Eden, Demeter, and Sansamp are welcome.

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I should look around and see if I can locate a GK here in town that I can check out. I actually have access to a Sansamp RBI and plan on putting it through it's paces.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I suggest the Navigator.

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Aguilar rulz. The best tone ever.

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    SanSamp RBI. Not the same "boutique" appeal as the other but still has bucketloads of tone!

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend the DB680. It records well, sounds great live and is has a great eq section. It definitely has a "sound". Everytime I use this to record engineers are amazed by the sound.

It is hifi without being sterile. IMO all aguilar stuff is a little "mid shy" but with the eq section you can get any sound you want.

My next recommendation would be a demeter. Different sound, seems more direct than the aguilar.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I love my Demeter HPB-1

Ted