Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick alternatives? (poll)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wyattryatt, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Playing with a pick

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Playing with your fingers

49 vote(s)
    98.0%
  1. Wyattryatt

Wyattryatt Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I've noticed that the bass in the blink182 songs is played with a pick, i wanna learn how to play with just my fingers... is there any way i could get the same sound?
    or do i just have to grow my nail out longer :p

2. you may not be able to get that "pick" tone with just your fingers, but you can get a nice aggressive tone with your fingers. check out "my favorite headache" by Geddy Lee. a real nice opening bass riff that drives the whole song. to me sounds better than most aggressive pick tones.

3. My thoughts exactly.

4. Geddy doesn't use standard fingerstyle for a lot of songs; he picks with the nail of his index finger, which was ripped off when he was 10 or so and then grew back harder than normal. It's how he plays songs like "Animate."

5. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Well...I can tell you how you can soften the sound if you want to pick....felt picks! I have a couple of different types and they work great...if you want to have the technique of a pick and the sound of your finger....there you go.

6. O
    what a cheater!!!;)

7. Wyattryatt

Wyattryatt Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    thats what ive been doing! lol
    whenever my finger started bleeding, i just taped my finger and played with my nail, i noticed it does kinda give the pick sound but i cant play very fast like that...

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From the title, I though this would be a thread about using different objects for picks.

I vote for frozen fish sticks...

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This seems more like Technique, so that's where I'm moving it.:)

10. Are you using one finger? two? Three? The more fingers you use the faster you'll be able to play. Also, using the tip of your finger will help increase the attack. You won't be able to get total pick-like tone, only a pick can do that. But you'll get the same feel.

11. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Use either your index or middle finger.
    Just like the double thumping.
    Back by the bridge in a back and forth motion just like you would using a pick.You can play tempos that would be really hard to pull off playing regular.

I saw this technique on a Chuck Rainey video.He used his index finger.
    I use my middle.

12. SKwiRL

SKwiRL

Mar 12, 2002
    Daouglas Ga
    dude, bassists don't play with a pick, that's a guitar, if you want to play guitar that's cool, but if you want to play bass play it right... oh yea, you can get a pick like tone if you turn the treble up and play with you fingers turned up, not quite poping the strings, but close

:D

13. Wyattryatt

Wyattryatt Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    currently i only use my index finger and i can play pretty fast with that, im starting to use my middle finger, i just gotta find which way is comfortable for me

14. Geddy may cheat using his mutant fingernail, but I cheat by using a very thin pick up by the neck pickup...

http://www.geocities.com/ahn1000/mfh.html

Not the same bass (my Rick 4003 vs Geddy's Fender Jazz) but a somewhat similar sound - I think a lot of it is in the ultra-thin Rotosound strings (I'm actually using a thinner guage than Geddy...). That's both pickups wide open, tone pots wide open.

Geddy's sound, however, is more growley, while mine is more clanky... god his Jazz sounds SO badass...

--jeff

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I voted for using my fingers because thats all i use. For some reason i just don't like playing with a pick, I can't play fast enough and I don't really think the tone suits me. Thats just me though, many people play just fine with a pick

16. :rolleyes: Tell that to some of the great bassists who play with a pick.
    I use fingers because I prefer the smooth natural sound that only fingers can give. But using a pick is just another technique, it gives a different tone, and it suits some songs better then fingers just as fingers suit some songs better then a pick. Alot of bassists will tel you that real bassists dont use a pick, but in my opinion they are limiting themselves just as much as people who dont learn to use their fingers. For example, play 'Roadhouse Blues' with pick then fingers and tell me that it doesnt sound much better with a pick.
    both are just techniques, use whichever suits the song best, but I find finger style suits more songs then pick.
    Jim